Vegan Cake

Decorating By kimberlina25 Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 4:38pm by cvigil

kimberlina25 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:59am
post #1 of 8

I have a coworker who is vegan, so i thought i would make her some vegan vanilla cupcakes, i followed the directions, batter looked good, they baked good, but when i tasted one, it tasted fine, but had the density and texture of a muffin. Is this common with no egg/milk cake recipes. i am wondering if i shouldn't give them to her after all, like i said, they tasted fine, but it felt more like a muffin than a cupcake.

here is the recipe, i would appreciate some feedback, i am now nervous to give her bad cupcakes icon_redface.gif

3 cups flour (did not use cake flour)
2 cups white sugar
2 tsp baking soda
2 cups water
2/3 cup veg oil
2 tbs white vinegar
2 tbs vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 tbs creme bouquet

baked at 350 for 20 min

TIA thumbs_up.gif

7 replies
MeMo07 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:23am
post #2 of 8

I'm not a chef, and I really can't claim to know why they did that, but I still think you should take them to her....it's SO sweet of you to not only make cupcakes for a co-worker, but to go as far as to make them specialty like that! icon_smile.gif

So, my opinion is that if they taste fine, just have a funny texture, you should take them to her! I'm sure she will LOVE them....

And props to you for being so awesome!

kimberlina25 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:19am
post #3 of 8

thanks for the advice, i just am not familiar with vegan baked goods, so i didn't know if it was normal and you just adapt to the texture, if i made them bad. I think i will take them to her anyways with the disclaimer that this is my first time attempting vegan and that i hope she enjoys them

thanks

SugarBakers05 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:33am
post #4 of 8

I've made this cake before, and yeah thats the texture...eggless cakes never come out like regular cakes, they are more corse than anything. I did this recipe with the cake flour, and the texture, although like a muffin wwas nice and light, the best eggless cake recipe I've run across

LeanneW Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:44am
post #5 of 8

i agree take them to her, she'll love them.

I recently baked a vegan groom's cake and had a nightmare with it.

A vegan cake decorator in my area gave me some vegan recipes and vegan egg replacer, which is just potato starch.

the cake tasted great, very moist, but it practically imploded when I frosted it.

So second attemp... I added half a can of pureed pumpkin to it to hold it together and omitted the powdered egg replacer. this worked like a charm!

it tasted great and was moist and dense.

You can't taste the pumpkin at all but I wouldn't recommend putting it in a white cake, unless you were going to add some pumpkin pie spice or at least cinnamon.

good luck if you ever try it again.

edited to add... I should have mentioned the cake was chocolate.

kimberlina25 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:43am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBakers05

I've made this cake before, and yeah thats the texture...eggless cakes never come out like regular cakes, they are more corse than anything. I did this recipe with the cake flour, and the texture, although like a muffin wwas nice and light, the best eggless cake recipe I've run across

that is nice to hear, i was worried that maybe i did something wrong, like i said, they taste good, the flavor is fine, it was just that texture, it was kinda like a bc iced muffin LOL icon_biggrin.gif I will give them to her as planned, thanks guys, i really appreciate your encouragement!!

costumeczar Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:03am
post #7 of 8

Vegan cakes always seem to be heavier, and the white cake always tastes like pancakes to me! You can usually use your regular recipes for vegan if you substitute out the butter/eggs/sourcream for vegan versions. Look for the egg replacer, tofu sour cream and soy products. It works better in some recipes than others, but I think the regular recipes that are "veganized" tend to taste better than the specifically vegan recipes I've tried.

cvigil Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:38pm
post #8 of 8

It seems that you already got your answer but I just wanted to let you know, vegans are used to this kind of thing. I had a friend who would invite us over for dinner and would serve vegan cuisine. Although we could tell a difference, she didn't seem to mind. Also, my sister is the same way. She is just happy to find things that are tasty that she will eat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%