??? About Red Ribbon Boarder On White Buttercream.....

Decorating By CakePhun Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 12:09pm by thecakemaker

CakePhun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakePhun Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 12

Hey all,
Just wanting some tips from you all who have done a ribbon (real ribbon) boarder on a cake with buttercream frosting (not fondant). Like the cake in this link:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1175191

Any do's and don'ts would be fabulous... for example do use this type of ribbon... or apply it first before stacking the cake... stuff like that would be stellar. TIA!!!

SUNSHINE

11 replies
kchart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kchart Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 12

I have done one wedding cake with red ribbon on buttercream icing. I just used a cheap satiny ribbon from walmart. I put the ribbon on before stacking. I did notice a little bit of grease on the ribbon, but after a few hours (way before the reception started) it sort of dried and wasn't noticeable anymore. Hope that helps.

i have a picture of the one i did in my photos.

kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:44am
post #3 of 12

i have used a cheap satin-y ribbon from the craft store. back it with wax paper, so the grease doesn't leak through and discolor the ribbon. I have found it easier to put on after i have stacked them.

HTH

Gatorfan01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gatorfan01 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:38am
post #4 of 12

I just did this yesterday with a wedding cake I did for a friend. I took the satin type ribbon (from Wal-Mart) and I put packing tape on side and trimmed off the excess. I put the taped side of the ribbon against the cake and it looked awesome and held up very well.

Hope this helps.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 12

My own wedding cake (not done by me, and if I knew then what I know now, I would have known I was asking for something more difficult by going simple) had royal blue ribbon around the bottom and it looked fine on buttercream:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/100/298283326_f1cd873173_b.jpg

I was a very happy customer. icon_smile.gif

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 12

I use whatever ribbon from Michael's happens to match - nothing special - I stack the cakes then apply the ribbon after the frosting is well crusted. I've not had a problem so far - with grease or color running - thankfully!

There's a few different colors in my galleries including red.

Debbie

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:08pm
post #7 of 12

Pretty much the same advise as everyone else. Apply the ribbon after it has been stacked. Only difference in what I have done - is that I put a very, very thin film of shortening on the back side of the ribbon and wipe it off with paper towel. This way the ribbon will not absorb any more shortening from the icing when on the cake. This helps eliminate the change that there will be one spot that will really stands out on the ribbon.

I used this method on the wedding cake I made in this link:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=675803

thecakemaker Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:18pm
post #8 of 12

you know - at one point everyone was discussing the use of wax on the back of ribbon - done by ironing the ribbon under waxed paper to transfer the wax to the ribbon - to keep the ribbon from absorbing the grease. I did this once - I believe that was on the cake with the red ribbon. It was very easy to do!

Debbie

CakePhun Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:48pm
post #9 of 12

one more question... how do you attach the ribbon? a little bit of BC on the edges? Thanks for all the wonderful tips you guys are awesome!

thecakemaker Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:12pm
post #10 of 12

I use a small piece of double sided tape at a small overlap in the ribbon at the back of the cake - or a single hat pin - if using the hat pin just make sure you explain that to the recepient.

Debbie

CakePhun Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:31pm
post #11 of 12

OK, great ... I think I will go with the tape! thanks Debbie!

thecakemaker Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:09pm
post #12 of 12

You're welcome! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%