Help... With Sugarshack's Bc Recipe

Decorating By Pama2d Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 1:11pm by erinalicia

Pama2d Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 29

Sugarshack... or anyone else that can help... Can you tell me when you're making this recipe, are you gradually adding the powdered sugar to the bowl or are you dumping everything in at once and blending carefully from there??? Thanks!

28 replies
tracycakes Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 9:01pm
post #2 of 29

I gradually add the PS or you will have a huge white cloud. icon_surprised.gificon_biggrin.gif

Suewillo Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 29

here is her YouTube making the icing. Watch it and you will see how she does it. This icing is really yummy and not sweet. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4ibkH0V_4&feature=related

Sue

mcalhoun Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 29

I put all of mine in after the shortning then pour the liquid on top. But I always put a dish towel over Betsy's (my KA) top before starting her up

tracey1970 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 29

I add my ps to this recipe one cup at a time and let each addition swirl for a bit. I get powdered enough when I do this - I would be afraid to let it go all at once!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 29

I do it the way SugarShack/Sharon shows in the video/Youtube.com

thedessertdiva Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 29

Maybe this has been answered already, but is there anyway to 1/2 the recipe? I would love to make it, but I do not need that much buttercream at any one given time, and I do not have a way to store that much. Thanks...

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 11:53pm
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedessertdiva

Maybe this has been answered already, but is there anyway to 1/2 the recipe? I would love to make it, but I do not need that much buttercream at any one given time, and I do not have a way to store that much. Thanks...

One of the keys to this recipe is to make enough that it comes up to cover your whole mixer paddle and prevents air bubbles from forming. If you halve it it won't work properly. Why not just make all of it and then freeze what you don't use? Just a suggestion.

sugarshack Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:08am
post #9 of 29

Thank you Sue for posting the link! Sometimes i don't see all the threads so i appreicte you guys !

And I agree with Sugar Plum. I make the big batch, to get less air. Freezes beautifully; remix if you need to.

Someone on another board just said they used an immerison blender in a small bowl to get air out they had in ther icing!

thedessertdiva Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:30am
post #10 of 29

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, the large recipe is not cost effective for me right now...so I will have to stick with the ol' stand by icon_wink.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:27am
post #11 of 29

BTW, Sharon/SugarShack, I never complimented you on the DVD's and your techniques (I haven't watched all three discs yet, but I did watch the BC one). Very informative! Thanks. I just need to work on my speed now! lol It took me a bit longer than I anticipated to get my sheet cake (for my 25th Elementary school reunion) smooth. The cake and the icing were complimented like crazy and I, of course, used your recipe (with the liquid coffee creamer though - I heated it a bit in the micro).

sugarshack Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:32am
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedessertdiva

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, the large recipe is not cost effective for me right now...so I will have to stick with the ol' stand by icon_wink.gif

understandable.

you can half the recipe if you like and use whatver portion you usually make. it may have some air in it, but you could try it for sure. maybe the hand belnder would help in this case?

sugarshack Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:34am
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

BTW, Sharon/SugarShack, I never complimented you on the DVD's and your techniques (I haven't watched all three discs yet, but I did watch the BC one). Very informative! Thanks. I just need to work on my speed now! lol It took me a bit longer than I anticipated to get my sheet cake (for my 25th Elementary school reunion) smooth. The cake and the icing were complimented like crazy and I, of course, used your recipe (with the liquid coffee creamer though - I heated it a bit in the micro).

T

hank you grace; that si so kind of you!PS you are beautiful!

farmom3 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:54am
post #14 of 29

HI,I am new to cake decorating specialy with BC could you please give me the
recipe ,I watch the youtube but I can't hear it very good,sorry
thanks a lot specialy to sugarshack

farmom3 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:38am
post #16 of 29

thank you,thank you, thank you.sugarshack,
I love your cakes very much, I wish someday my cakes be good as yours. thumbs_up.gif

sugarshack Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:48am
post #17 of 29

YW!

LaurynBrook Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:57am
post #18 of 29

I have the KA professional mixer, which is much bigger than the artisan (I think that's the 5 qt) so would this recipe still work in my mixer even though it's bigger?

sugarshack Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:00am
post #19 of 29

you will have to increase the recipe to fit the volume of your bowl.

here is the recipe for the 6 quart bowl:

3 lbs sweetex (usse a kitchen scale)

6.5 lbs powdered sugar (use a 4 cup measuing cup, 4 cups=1 lb)

9 tbsp wedding bouquet

11 tbsp hot coffe mate liquid

cream sweetex and liquids on first speed very well. add half amount of powdered sugar, let mix 30 seconds, then add rest of powdered sugar. scrape sides of bowl very well turn speed up one notch, mix for 9 minutes. scrape sides of bowl around top, mix for 1 minute longer. (Do not turn off mixer durning this scraping!) now, turn off mixer, remove paddle and cover with plastic wrap. let sit for 1 hour or longer.

LaurynBrook Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:04am
post #20 of 29

How much frosting does this end up being? I know it's a lot, but I'm mean, how big of or how many cakes will this frost?

lilmansmum Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:12am
post #21 of 29

Okay sugarshack, my mixer is a Viking 7 quart. Do you have the recipe to fit that mixer? Please?

And in that recipe you gave for the 6 quart mixer....is it really 9 tablespoons of wedding bouquet? I thought there was only three tablespoons in the 5 quart recipe, so that just seemed like a lot....maybe I have it wrong.

mjballinger Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:16am
post #22 of 29

I just wanted to add that this icing is quite addictive, like Cake Central. I used to be such a brat about needing real butter in my buttercream, but I use Sugar Shack all the time now, unless I'm doing a cooked buttercream. I made some of my old buttercream the other day and my kids and husband were very upset!
AND the last cake that I made, yesterday, I didn't even want to put the fondant on because the Sugar Shack icing came out so beautiful and smooth I hated to cover it.
My kids always know to look for the container marked SS when they want a dollop of icing on something now!
Thanks Sharon! Tasting your icing at the Mid-Atlantic Cake Show was was of the best things to happen to my cake decorating!

patrincia Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:28am
post #23 of 29

Do you think a die-hard IMBC fan would like this BC??? I'm so afraid to try it... any former IMBCers out there???

LaurynBrook Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:33am
post #24 of 29

What is IMBC? and for that matter what is SMBC? Sorry for the silly questions. I see them all the time and I haven't the slightest clue what any of you are talking about. icon_biggrin.gif

patrincia Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:47am
post #25 of 29

Oops, sorry!

Italian Meringue Buttercream is made when you add hot sugar syrup to whipped egg whites, beat until cool, then add the butter.

Swiss Meringue buttercream is made when you whip egg whites and sugar together over heat, then remove from the heat, cool, and add the butter.

LaurynBrook Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:54am
post #26 of 29

Thank you so much for explaining that to me! I was so confused! You are the greatest! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

patrincia Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:00am
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurynBrook

Thank you so much for explaining that to me! I was so confused! You are the greatest! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Aw, gee, shucks! icon_redface.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:06am
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

T

hank you grace; that si so kind of you!PS you are beautiful!

YW and thank you, too! How kind of you! icon_smile.gif

erinalicia Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:11pm
post #29 of 29

I was going to make this recipe for a graduation cake coming up this weekend. What amounts do I need to use for my 4.5Q KA?

Sharon, I got the buttercream DVD and love it! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%