Need Advise...stacked Square Cake W/no Border

Decorating By Wandootie Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 1:03am by southerncake

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 6

Hey guys!

I have a wedding cake in a few weeks. The bride wants a very simple square stacked cake...no border, but she does want only a small silk ribbon around the bottom of each tier. I have done this before, but had a HARD time with it. Is there an easier way to do this with the ribbon without making a big mess of the buttercream? Most of the time I have an icing border to cover up the slip-ups.

I've been wanting to buy Sharon's new DVD on the stacked cakes because I know the answers are there, but I've moved to another house and had to pay deposits on all the utilities because all the companies were new.

Any advise will be great and sooooo appreciated.

Wanda

5 replies
deeb173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeb173 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 6

I have Sharon's DVD and she talks about foamcore boards, but it's hard to explain all that in an email. I guess the easiest part to tell you is put your tier on a cake board then stick that board to a tuff board that's larger and ice it. Then once you get it all smooth pop it in the freezer. After a few in the freezer (I think she said about 10minutes..til the icicing firms up quite a bit) Then take it out and using a putty knife or something similar separate the tuff board from the cake. Then using a BIG spatula...like a grill size burger flipper, slide it under the cake board and put it on top of your bottom tier. The firmed up icing should help keep from making dents and you can even touch the cake some b/c of the firm icing. After it's stacked you decorate. I was going to watch her stacking video again today, but didn't get the chance or more would be committed to memory.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 10:30pm
post #3 of 6

Chill it. Before stacking. That will save you loads of heartache.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:27am
post #4 of 6

the ribbon is your concern, yes? having the icing chilled will make it eaier to apply, but grease with seep into it unless you back it with something. ( not all things are food safe). Some iron wax paper onto the backs to seal it. HTH

kristina67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristina67 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:43am
post #5 of 6

Great tip with the wax paper! I've had this problem before and didn't know there was a cure.
I just ordered your video and am so excited! Can't wait to watch it.
kristina

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:03am
post #6 of 6

A lot of my cakes here lately have just a ribbon and no borders, so there has been a lot of trial and error in getting it right. I definitely think it helps to have two people. I use the wax paper method mentioned above. After I have put the cake together, DH holds the length of the ribbon while I put it in place.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%