Transporting Cake With Chocolate.....

Decorating By cakesbybert Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 2:17pm by cakesbybert

cakesbybert Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 5

I have a bride who has sent me this picture of the cake she would like for me to make for her in August. I live a good hour and 30 minutes from the reception location and live in Kansas.

My question is:
How well will this cake transport? Should I try to transport it stacked?

It will be extremely hot in Kansas in August. I am worried about the chocolate melting, sliding or cracking during the trasporting.

Or should I wait to put the cake together at the location?? Then I would have to find a way to melt the chocolate.

Any advice would be great, I have only done one cake with chocolate over it like this one and it was a 6" that we ate at home.

4 replies
T-Bird Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 5

That is a toughie! I don't know what would work best for you, but I might try a method mentioned by someone else in another post (don't know the thread, just read it somewhere). They mentioned using one long dowel (sharpened) and "impaling" all layers and board to support the cake for transport. You could do this before adding the top berries. I would then get some sun visors for any windows that would be facing onto the cake and have the air kicking before I loaded.

Someone else might have dealt with this before and might have some better suggestions.

Good luck!

mayamia Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 5

I would pour the chocolate on location no way would I risk it melting, (I do live in Tx. and in August we probably reach 3 digit temperatures, I would melt the chocolate at home put it in a Crock Pot (I think thats what those things are called) I am pretty sure there is outlets at the reception for you to heat up the chocolate again with no problem icon_biggrin.gif

T-Bird Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 5

That's a really good idea! Never would have thought of using a crockpot , I think they even now market one that's for transporting.

cakesbybert Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the ideas. Thanks mayamia - the crock pot idea is great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%