What Am I Doing Wrong??

Decorating By Kitty484 Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 12:25pm by 0TNIC

Kitty484 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitty484 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 4

A few weeks ago I had a short notice project and the only cake pan I could find quickly in the right size was a silicone one. Having never used silicone before, I was a bit worried but had no choice. I was even more worried when I realised (20 minutes into the cooking time!) that 'd forgotten to oil the pan and just poured the mix straight in icon_cry.gif I thought for sure it would be a total disaster but to my amazement the cake came straight out and was cooked perfectly, far better than I get with my normal tins!
So, spurred on by my good experience, I bought some more silicone moulds for my recent project. However, these ones have been a nightmare!! I followed the instructions on them when they came and greased them lightly for their first use. The cakes stuck to them really badly icon_sad.gif
I had to ditch one altogether and only just managed to rescue the other one. I made another one and this time greased the pan a little more, making sure to get into all the corners (it's a square pan) but it still stuck badly underneath.
My cake mix is same one I always use and same one I used for first silicone pan.
What am I doing wrong?

3 replies
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:17am
post #2 of 4

I can't vouch for what you are doing wrong (if anything?), but I can just chime in and say that my attempts at baking in silicone pans mirrors your "follow up" tries...i.e. they all stuck if I didn't properly grease and flour the pans. I even grease the individual (freestanding) silicone cupcake molds.

If you don't get any good advice here about what else you might need to do to keep them from sticking, then you can always just put parchment in the bottom of the pans. Grease and flour the sides/edges as usual, that's always worked just fine for me. Good luck!

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 11:52am
post #3 of 4

I have silicone muffin cups, a loaf pan, and a couple of cake pans. They are all differnt brands and I don't have a problem with anything sticking to any of them. But, I NEVER grease them and didn't "season" them when I first got them.

In fact, as I'm thinking about it, I think a few years ago I did have one cake that I baked in the loaf pan that did stick... and if I remember correctly, it was the one time that I greased the pan!

0TNIC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
0TNIC Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:25pm
post #4 of 4

Silicone formware are made not not use excess fat/grease in order to cook. hence a slightly healthier option...

The best bit of info i could offer you is not to grease the pan, preheat the silicone in the oven and when you put it in the oven to bake you put the silicone pan ontop of a baking tray

Try that and let me know how you go!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%