Help First Wedding Cake Order!

Decorating By weberm05 Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 7:49pm by weberm05

weberm05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weberm05 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 18

So I just got my first wedding cake order by accident. Woman backed out at last minute. Cake is two weeks away. I attached a pic. I wanted to see what a "pro" would do exactly. Here's what I'd do.......please correct me and guide me ha ha

I am making a 8, 10, 12, 14" square.
I buy all my cake boards at the craft store...do I double them to make them stronger...???

I'll put crisco on the back of the ribbon? (Do I buy like satin ribbon from a craft store?) Do I use a dob of icing to close the ribbon up?

Stack cake at the reception and do touch up. (she doesn't want the pearls)

She wants buttercream roses....so I thought make them ahead of time, freeze them...take them to the reception and put them on after I stack.

Going to use dowel rods...do I use them between every layer???? How many per layer?

I know many did a cake like this...please guide me...

Everything would be soooooo appreicated!!!!
LL

17 replies
weberm05 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 18

also I was going to use just white and chocolate duncan hines cake mix with the extender recipe...is that alright

weberm05 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 18

bump

weberm05 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:58am
post #4 of 18

anybody icon_sad.gif

StaceyRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyRN Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:25am
post #5 of 18

OK, i'm not a pro but I thought i'd offer a few words of advice.....
Definately dowel rod. I double my boards underneath stacked cakes if I don't use plates. As for the ribbon, if you use satin, don't put crisco directly on it, you'll get grease spots. I place a piece of wax paper on the back of the ribbon the same size. Some people stack at the site, some people transport stacked (dowels should be placed through all layers).
Hope this little bit helps and bumps you for some more insight from others! Good Luck!

weberm05 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:05am
post #6 of 18

dowels should be placed through all layers). ??

Like dowels in the first layer to hold the second...then dowels in the second layer to hold the third etc...

Thanks

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:16am
post #7 of 18

Hi, I'm not a professional but wanted to give you a link to a youtube video on stacking cakes with dowels. Also, if you check out the articles section of CC there is a tut on stacking cakes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qu9ZtV51RM&NR=1
As a matter of preference I like Pillsbury cake mix used with the extender of 1 c of flour and sugar, sour cream and butter. Pillsbury already has the pudding in the mix.
Hope you get more input to your questions, and best of luck with your cake.

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:08am
post #8 of 18

My one word of caution is that even if you freeze the roses, they will most likely be thawed by the time you get to where ever you are going and will be nearly impossible to move over to the cake. Also, I'm not sure who you are going to get buttercream roses to stick onto the side of the cake (like on the bottom teir). Also, stacking on site is kind of risky because if anything goes wrong, you won't have time to fix it. I prefer to dowel really well and stack at home. This way I'm not rushed on site to decorate.

SarahJane Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:08am
post #9 of 18

My one word of caution is that even if you freeze the roses, they will most likely be thawed by the time you get to where ever you are going and will be nearly impossible to move over to the cake. Also, I'm not sure who you are going to get buttercream roses to stick onto the side of the cake (like on the bottom teir). Also, stacking on site is kind of risky because if anything goes wrong, you won't have time to fix it. I prefer to dowel really well and stack at home. This way I'm not rushed on site to decorate.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 10:43am
post #10 of 18

I have almost this same cake due on the 28th..... I am going to use the Hidden pillars and plates. I will stack two high at home and transport them that way, and finish it off at the site. OH, you don't need to freeze the roses..... if you allow them to air dry, they will be hard and easy to put on the cake when you get there. Remember to take a bag of icing with you for repairs, and for ease of adhering the roses....

MadPhoeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadPhoeMom Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 10:55am
post #11 of 18

#1-fabulous cake
#2-two weeks to prepare?! yikes
#3-i bought ribbon at wally world, 49 Cents a yard.....but yes, with wax paper behind....
#4-a word of caution....if there are no pearls, the ribbon is your only border....be super tedious in your work, there won't be much room for error, no pearls means you won't have a way to 'hide' mistakes....
#5-JUST my opinion, but seems like your layers are close in size....an 8 on a 10 leaves little room for those roses....is this purposed?

best of luck, take a deep breath and it will be fine!
sally

weberm05 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 11:28am
post #12 of 18

thanks everyone.....this is what the girl wants....i'll do more research and see how everything turns out.

It's appreciated!!!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 11:55am
post #13 of 18

Are you using fondant? If so then you don't need anything behind the ribbon - I usually use a corsage pin to hold the ribbon together, but you could also use stiff royal icing.

It will be a heavy cake, but I would stack at home, use some sort of wood for your base to make sure it is sturdy, stack the cakes with the dowels inbetween each layer - don't double the boards inbetween or you will have large gaps - I do cover my boards sometimes with either foil or plastic wrap. Follow the YouTube instructions for dowel in each tier to support the one on top of it. Get a long dowel, sharpen the end and using a rubber mallet (or whatever you have) and bang it down through all the tiers (hide the hole with a rose on top) and this will keep the tiers from sliding, if your supports are done properly don't worry about banging the dowel all the way down, it will go thru the cardboard and cake easily.

If you can spend the money on the hidden pillars and plates that would be even easier.

DON'T freeze the roses, let them dry and you will be able to put them on that way, make extra. Use stiff royal icing to put the roses on the side, I'd put the ones on the bottom tier on at home even if you don't stack at home.

I am a duncan hines gal, never thought I had a preferance, but I do - although I will use whatever is on sale LOL! I add an extra egg and a box of pudding, even to pilsbury. Tried the extender, just was too much of a pain for me and everyone loves the cakes I make now - so I have given up on even TRYING to be a scratch baker for anyone other than my family LOL!

I do like the idea of stacking at least a few of the cakes ahead of time, it should be a very stable cake to transport.

I think you will have just enough room to put the roses on each tier with those sizes, BUT- does the bride know she will be getting cake for 252 people with these sizes?

Good luck - can't wait to see your pictures!

SarahJane Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:24pm
post #14 of 18

Just FYI for any of you who live in humid areas (like I do) buttercream roses DO NOT air dry in high humidity.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:05pm
post #15 of 18

You could use RI for your roses and make them well in advance they dry well and a lot lighter in wieght. Humidity will kill a BC Rose!!
Your ribbon...use wax paper or clear packing tape...I prefer the tape but thats just me!!
It's going to be a show stopper of a 1st cake...goodluck I'm sure you will do a great job!!

Muse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muse Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:23pm
post #16 of 18

Just an extra word (the ladies cover everything nicely!). I would definitely put a long dowel in the middle through all the layers to hold them together. I'm not saying only do that one, just that extra one as a precaution.

Best of luck.

Darci

Muse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muse Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:30pm
post #17 of 18

Just an extra word (the ladies cover everything nicely!). I would definitely put a long dowel in the middle through all the layers to hold them together. I'm not saying only do that one, just that extra one as a precaution.

Best of luck.

Darci

weberm05 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:49pm
post #18 of 18

some people said about stacking at home....how would a get a cake that tall there?

How would I protect it....like put it in a box and still my main questions is....how do I get it there stacked?

I was possibly thinking of stacking the first two and stacking the last two at home....transporting them in a box then put the two stacks together there????? I just don't know icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%