Hate To Ask, But Input On Pricing Minis Please.

Business By mom42ws Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 4:01pm by michellenj

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 13

I would LOVE some feedback with regards to how much I should charge for the minis listed in my photos. Some have more extensive work than others. I think the choc. ganache would be the least expensive of the bunch.

I want to market these as specialty gift items from brides to bridesmaids/wedding party. They are made from the Silverwood (I think that's the name) mini pan so they're about 2.5 inches wide and 3 inches tall??

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1228328

Thanks,

Ashley

12 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 13

They are very pretty cakes and I think you have a great idea. I don't know what price you should charge for your cakes but I do know that with the cost of good chocolate the ganache shouldn't be your cheapest one.

Good luck

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:00am
post #3 of 13

They are very pretty cakes and I think you have a great idea. I don't know what price you should charge for your cakes but I do know that with the cost of good chocolate the ganache shouldn't be your cheapest one.

Good luck

mom42ws Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:48am
post #4 of 13

true, but they were the least labor intensive.

ashley

mom42ws Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:03pm
post #5 of 13

no ideas here, huh? doesn't anyone make and sell minis?

ashley

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:13pm
post #6 of 13

I've never sold minis, but to me they're basically one serving of cake, right? I would just use your base serving price per type of cake (fondant covered, bc covered) and then give a minimum order requirement. For example, let's say your regular fondant covered serving is $3.00. Then make the minimum order requirement 1/2 dozen (total of $18.00) or 1 dozen ($36.00). Sounds expensive but well worth the price after looking at your photos. icon_smile.gif

BellaBabyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaBabyCakes Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 13

Wow, those are simply beautiful! I am just a beginner but I CAN say I would pay way more then a "per serving" price for these. Some people are charging upwards of 5-6 bucks for a CUPCAKE so I wouldn't go any lower then that.

Even cupcakes with just a swirl of buttercream at specialty CC shops start at 3 bucks, your talent, packaging and time are worth something too.

DesignerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerCakes Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:31am
post #8 of 13

In my area, minis are cheap at $10 each!! The average price is $12 and up.

todolomio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
todolomio Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:34am
post #9 of 13

Ok so, first I must say they are beautiful! Second, where are you located? You see you must consider your area before pricing. In new york I saw these minis starting from 8.00 to 14.00 a serving! Salt lake city has a cake designer that sells them at 10.00 a serving. In PR I saw someone selling them for $5.00.

So, check on the web with your competitors and then price you don't want to undercut them or over price them!

Carolina

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:53am
post #10 of 13

$10-15 each - not a dime less.

mom42ws Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:17pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by todolomio

Ok so, first I must say they are beautiful! Second, where are you located? You see you must consider your area before pricing. In new york I saw these minis starting from 8.00 to 14.00 a serving! Salt lake city has a cake designer that sells them at 10.00 a serving. In PR I saw someone selling them for $5.00.

So, check on the web with your competitors and then price you don't want to undercut them or over price them!

Carolina

Just doing a basic web search, I'm not sure that there is anyone doing these in my area. I'm thinking no less than $10 each and I would be marketing these to a more upscale clientelle.

Ashley

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 12:09am
post #12 of 13

I sell 3" single serving cakes for $5-7... but they are very plainly ices.

If they were decorated with fondant, etc., the price would increase to $9-10 each. I don't know that people here would pay more than that.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:01pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom42ws

I would LOVE some feedback with regards to how much I should charge for the minis listed in my photos. Some have more extensive work than others. I think the choc. ganache would be the least expensive of the bunch.

I want to market these as specialty gift items from brides to bridesmaids/wedding party. They are made from the Silverwood (I think that's the name) mini pan so they're about 2.5 inches wide and 3 inches tall??

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1228328

Thanks,

Ashley

Everyone loves ganache, and it seems really impressive. If that one is your most profitable one, and everyone loves it, market the heck out of it and make some money! I'd price it either the same as the others, or maybe .50 more than the others. If you tell them it's your specialty, they will believe it and be willing to pay a little bit more for them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%