Found Shortening With Transfat!

Decorating By diamondsonblackvelvet13 Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 5:14pm by CakeDeeva

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 9

Woo Hooo! I got lucky! I went to my local grocery store and they were out of Crisco (small town) being desperate, I purchased Shurfine Shortening. Now I've used this brand before for fried chicken but never for frosting. Going to try it out before I use it for a customer's cake to see what the difference is. Is there anything I need to be aware of insofar as shortening with transfat vs. shortening without it? I use the Viva buttercream recipe by RaRaRobyn.

Thanks!

8 replies
vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsonblackvelvet13

Woo Hooo! I got lucky! I went to my local grocery store and they were out of Crisco (small town) being desperate, I purchased Shurfine Shortening. Now I've used this brand before for fried chicken but never for frosting. Going to try it out before I use it for a customer's cake to see what the difference is. Is there anything I need to be aware of insofar as shortening with transfat vs. shortening without it? I use the Viva buttercream recipe by RaRaRobyn.

Thanks!

One thing to be careful with..does this shortening contain meat fats??

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 9

No, it doesn't. I was stoked about it having transfat so I double and triple checked before I bought it.

It has-
Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed oil, Vegetable Mono- & Diglycerides

It gives the percentage of Transfat as 2.5 g per serving.

ctucker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctucker Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 9

I am so confused as to why transfats are a good thing???!? Can somebody please help me by explaining what this does for the buttercream?

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:32am
post #5 of 9

For some reason the transfats seem to help keep the buttercream from breaking down, for shortening-based icings. I've seen dozens of "Help Me!" posts from people who made their icing as usual, using the new 0 tf Crisco, only to have the colors separate, or else the icing simply slide off the cake. Don't know anything at all about the food science behind it, but I seem to recall reading here that even Crisco acknowledges that your icing recipes may perform differently now. However I've never seen any issues posted regarding BAKED items being affected.

IndyDebi actually uses Dream Whip powder in her icing to combat the no-transfat problem. Because guess what Dream Whip has in it...transfats!

Sorry I can't answer your original question dieamondsonblackvelvet since I rarely make shortening-based icing, but hopefully someone else will relate their experiences about using tf/0 tf shortenings...

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:11pm
post #6 of 9

I use Richtex shortening. So far so good.

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:51pm
post #7 of 9

I add 3 TB meringue powder to every 1 cup of shortening w/o Transfat. This stabilizes the icing so the shortening doesn't separate.

nicolepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolepa Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:01pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

However I've never seen any issues posted regarding BAKED items being affected.

I know from experience that pie crusts will not turn out. They don't roll smothly and they crumble when you trasfer to the pan. And they taste just plain gross when cooked.

CakeDeeva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDeeva Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:14pm
post #9 of 9

I don't know if they've modified the recipe yet, but Target's brand of shortening had trans fat the last time I bought some.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%