Red Velvet - Looking For The Best!

Decorating By MacsMom Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 10:13pm by allee

MacsMom Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 3

I have never tried a red velvet cake, nonetheless made one. I am making a bridal shower cake for a client's sister who used to be a pastry chef. If I can impress her I will have the opportunity to make her wedding cake!

There are a lot of recipes out there... I need the BEST of the best!!

I was thinking of following the WASC recipe but making the appropriate cake and flavoring changes and using buttermilk and adding 1T vinegar... thoughts? It would make a dense and mopist cake, but I'm not sure how the crumb is supposed to be for red velvet.

2 replies
Denise Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 3

I do not bake from scratch but I have had people who LOVE red velvet cake rave about my RV cake....

1 box French Vanilla Betty Crocker
1 box German Chocolate Betty Crocker
2 sticks butter
1/2 cup oil
6 jumbo eggs or extra large
1 red food coloring McCormick bottle

Mix as directed on boxes. I bake at 350 til done - for 10" cakes about 1 hour.

HTH

allee Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 3

Southern Red Velvet Cake

Serves/Yields: 1 8" round 3 layer cake
Prep. Time: 15-20 mins
Cook Time: 25-30 mins
Category: North American
Difficulty: Easy

This is a true Southern Red Velvet cake recipe handed down from my great grandmother. You can ice w/cream cheese icing, but in our family, we prefer the coconut/pecan icing.
If making the coconut/pecan icing, read thru directions completely before starting cake as you need to start icing before cake.

1 cup (2 sticks) margarine
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
2-1/2 cups flour
2 ozs red food coloring
2 Tbs. vinegar
2 Tbs. cocoa
1/2 tsp. salt
1-1/2 tsp. soda
2 tsps. vanilla

Make a paste of cocoa and vinegar & set aside. Cream margarine and sugar. Add eggs and cocoa mixture, mix well.
Sift flour, soda and salt together and add alternately with buttermilk. Add vanilla and food coloring and mix well. Pour into 3 greased and floured 8 or 9 inch pans. Bake @ 350 for 25 - 30 minutes.

Icing:
1-1/2 cups milk
3 Tbs. flour
1 cup sugar
2 sticks margarine
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup coconut
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt

Cook milk and flour together until thick and let cool while making cake. Beat margarine and sugar until creamy. Add cooled milk/flour mixture and blend well. Add vanilla, nuts and coconut. Spread between layers and on top & sides of cake. Enjoy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%