All Organic Icing--No Sugar? Ideas?

Decorating By icedideas Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 5:53pm by elliora

icedideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icedideas Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 2

I have a mom requesting a smash cake made with all organic ingredients and no sugar in the icing. Is that even possible? I told her orginally that I could do the organic cake with a fondant icing that she could just peel off when her daughter was ready to dive in. I thought about recommending a "jello" cake but I'm not really sure it that is considered organic or not. Any ideas would be very appreciated!!!!

1 reply
elliora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliora Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 2

I'm new here, and not a professional cake baker, but I had to respond to this. My own daughter did not eat sugar until she was over 2 years old, so her first two cakes were non sugar organic versions while everyone had regular cake (she didn't even care!)
What I did for the icing was just take plain organic whipped cream, whipped it with no sugar and then covered the whole thing with organic strawberries. It didn't look that pretty but you could use the strawberries mashed up and folded into the whipped cream or as a filling. It was perfect as a smash cake because the whipped cream and strawberries made a HUGE mess.
For the cake I just substituted applesauce and bananas for the sugar to make it still taste good and threw in some dried fruit too. As long as the woman is ok with the cake not being the exact consistency of regular cake and not having traditional icing it will work out great. Hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%