Help On My First Wedding Cake!

Decorating By BakerzJoy Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 6:39pm by Cakechick123

BakerzJoy Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 2

I have a Wedding Cake due in 3 weeks and I am nervous!
It is a 3 tier oval cake with ivory fondant and swiss dots. It will have an ivory fondant bow as the topper.
I have several questions for who ever can help me, I would surely appreciate it!!
1st question, how many dowels in each cake to avoid sagging?
2nd, should I transport seperate tiers and assemble on site?
3rd, How do I make a fondant bow? I had trouble last year and gave up!
4th, How do I decorate a plain wood cake board to match cake?
5th, if I can't get the cake board what else can I use that is nice and sturdy and not costly?
6th, The grooms cake is a stand up can of Mountain Dew. How do I get the fondant on without sagging once it's on? Do you think MMF would be okay with this cake too?? Any other ideas on doing a can cake would be appreciated, it's my first one!
Thanks for any help you all can give me!!
LL

1 reply
Cakechick123 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 2

I would put 5 dowels in the bottom tier and four in the middle one. I use wooden dowels, the straws in South Africa is way too flimsy to support a cake, but maybe another US decorator can give you more help.
I always transport my cakes seperate and stack at the venue, that way Im not anervous wreck by the time I arrive with the cake. In this instance I would attach the ribbon around the bottom only at the venue. there is a great tutorial on making bows on the site, since I've been using it I've made perfect ones.
as for the cake board, I always cover my boards with some fondant, just put the bopttom tier on, and cut a strip that is broad enoug to cover the board that is exposed. Dust wit some PS and roll up like a bandadge, dampen board and unroll the strip. Smooth with your smoother. Just make sure the join is at the back.

HTH!!! and good luck with your first cake!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%