???'s About A Cake That Soured?

Decorating By Cakery Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 11:15am by michellenj

Cakery Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 22

Okay...had a customer that called me this morning. I made a sheet cake for her daughter....the gal picked it up on Saturday morning. They had it on Sunday afternoon. I told her it would be best if she kept it in the fridge till the party time. I baked it on Friday afternoon.....decorated and put in my cooler. So the cake was chilled. She told me that they had to throw the cake out.....cause it had a SOURED taste to it. Was a plain white cake. I asked her all kinds of ???'s too.....did she leave it in the car after she left my shop.....she said no....but she does live in a town about 20 miles away.....so she could have went shopping, etc. Did she have it in the trunk of her car? I asked her if she put it in the fridge when she got home....she said no....but it was right by the air-conditioner. I have been doing cakes for over 30 years....and never one time has anyone called back and said the cake had a sour smell or taste to it??? I have heard of a chemical reaction that when a cake sits in a hot place....then cooled down....it can cause the alcohol in the vanilla to ferment.....so wondered if anyone else has ever had a problem with this??? I sure never have and it's buggin' the crap out of me. And it's the customer's word saying she didn't leave it in the car, etc...but she did say she left it sitting out but the house was cool. Please let me know if you have ever had to deal with this or not? I told her I will make her another cake....FREE OF CHARGE. She said they had to throw the cake out....here again.....I don't know that they did....but taking her word for it. But things like this can bug us decorators....and I've never had this problem in 30 years. Anyone else????

21 replies
leah_s Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 22

Never had a problem, nor have I ever heard of such a problem.

cakecastle Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 22

Was it the cake or the icing she said had soured?

I never refrigerate any of the cakes I make (except when I do cream cheese icing) and never had a problem. Even when we used to buy WM cakes (before I started making them last year) which sometimes had whipped icing and weren't refrigerated, I never had a problem. hmmmm

littlecake Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 22

I never heard of such a thing....i think they just want a free cake.

I would sure ask for some of the cake back so you could inspect it before giving them anything for free,

You sure can't get anyone else to give you free stuff without bringing something back.

the "we had to throw the whole thing out"...is a tipoff...now theres no evidence.

Think about it...if you got something that was bad, wouldn't you keep it to show the people?

cakecastle Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake

You sure can't get anyone else to give you free stuff without bringing something back.

the "we had to throw the whole thing out"...is a tipoff...now theres no evidence.

Think about it...if you got something that was bad, wouldn't you keep it to show the people?

ITA

Cakery Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 22

Thanks everyone.....that was my reaction as well. I have never had someone say a cake was SOURED??? I've done all kinds of searches on the internet....and nothing comes up on a cake getting soured? After doing cakes for 30 years in the town where I live....I'm not worried about my reputation on this one....LOL!

vdrsolo Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 22

It definitely sounds fishy to me, I bet they stopped off at the grocery store to run in and get a few things and left it in the trunk. Did you use anything perishable in the fillings or icing that could have went rancid in such a short amount of time like milk or anything? Even 20 miles in a hot trunk may cause it to turn. I personally have stopped doing anything perishable because I have no control over how the customer stores the cake!

Cakery Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:23pm
post #8 of 22

I do use some cream or milk in my frosting.....but I asked her about the frosting....she said it tasted good....she said it was the actual cake that tasted SOUR? I used Duncan Hines white cake mix....have for 30 years and never had a problem. I did 10 other sheet cakes and 2 weddings this weekend.....same as I made her cake....and no one has called saying they had a problem??? I'm seriously thinking she put it in her trunk....and since she lives in a smaller town....they went shopping at our Super Wal-Mart before heading back home....and it just set too long in the HOT car. It was close to 90 on Saturday here!

vdrsolo Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 10:10pm
post #9 of 22

Is she a new customer, sounds like she's just looking for a free cake!! If it were me, I would be returning the cake so the baker could taste it as well. I can't see the cake itself souring if the icing didn't!

gateaux Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:42pm
post #10 of 22

sorry this happened. It's one of my biggest fears.

Uhm... she liked the icing, and she did not keep any evidence to show you....uhm... maybe there was NO cake left to keep and show you .... maybe she just wants a freebee. Who knows what people will do in this economy!

Hope this all turns out.

Good Luck.

aswartzw Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:54pm
post #11 of 22

Um, a cake soured? That's not even possible is it? It's baked so the only thing it can do is mold.

Sounds really fishy to me. Could be she just didn't like the taste.

Janette Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:54pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gateaux

sorry this happened. It's one of my biggest fears.

Uhm... she liked the icing, and she did not keep any evidence to show you....uhm... maybe there was NO cake left to keep and show you .... maybe she just wants a freebee. Who knows what people will do in this economy!

Hope this all turns out.

Good Luck.

My Grandmother, Mother then myself have never refriderated our Butter or Margerine in the Butter dish. We've never refridgerated our Peanut Butter (unless all natural). Never had a problem. When I have cake for family or a party I don't refridgerate it until the next day. And, that's to keep it from molding.

cathyscakes Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:56pm
post #13 of 22

The only problem I have had is when I used butter in the buttercream and had to drive the cake 70 miles away in really hot weather. I thought it had a rancid taste, no one else noticed, but I sure did. So I won't use butter in hot weather.

Janette Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:03pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyscakes

The only problem I have had is when I used butter in the buttercream and had to drive the cake 70 miles away in really hot weather. I thought it had a rancid taste, no one else noticed, but I sure did. So I won't use butter in hot weather.

I wonder if once the Butter is mixed with another ingredient it changes it.

s_barnes76 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:03pm
post #15 of 22

Sorry that this won't really help your side of the story, but I think I may know what she is talking about. The last two DH white cakes I made both tasted funny the next day. The first one cracked as I was turning it out, so I figured I would just make cake balls!! I left it covered overnight and the next morning the taste was horrible!! Ended up throwing it out afterall. The second had slightly the same taste the next day. I didn't do anything different to either, I thought maybe DH might have made some changes I didn't know about, as this has never happened before and I only use DH. I did make cupcakes last weekend and they turned out fine. I'm a little relieved to know it wasn't just me, but I'm sorry you had this happen.

christeena Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:13pm
post #16 of 22

Do you have your "smaller" cake orders sign a release or contract? I know in my wedding contract I state that no refunds will be given for "alleged" bad cake if I do not get a sample of it within 2 days of the event to check out the problem. I'm thinking of doing this for smaller cakes too 'cause people are getting crazy about getting something for nothing! The large restaurant/bakery I work at now requires a release to be signed and any "bad" cake to be brought in so that the baker can see what happened. I agree with aswartzw as how it is even possible for a cake to sour! Mold yes - sour no way! Have you dealt with this person before? Is she asking for a refund? I would tell her that without a sample of the cake for you to check out that the best you can do is 10% off her next order. She is just wanting it free! icon_mad.gif

Cakery Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:26pm
post #17 of 22

I'm like everyone else.....I'm thinking she's wanting a FREE cake. I called her back and of course....they threw it out and it's in the trash now...go figure!!! On the Duncan Hines thing....I made several other white cakes this past weekend too.....no one else has called with a problem?? Like I said....30 years in business and never had someone say the cake was SOURED? It's her word against mine....and I do have a sign in my shop that says they are responsible for transport and storing their cakes once it leaves my shop. I even told her to place it in the fridge....since she wasn't serving it till Sunday....which she didn't. I told her that since she didn't bring the cake back in to me to check it out.....it's best she just gets her cake from Wal-Mart then. I'm not giving her a FREE cake. I'm not worried about my reputation over this one cake....not in 30 years! LOL

littlecake Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:23pm
post #18 of 22

when i worked at albertsons....they put "cake tables" out on the floor....no refridgeration...for days and days....didn't pull them until they started looking bad....no "sour" cake there.

i say forget her....let her go on to her next scam.

Cakery Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:31pm
post #19 of 22

littlecake....RIGHT ON.....I mentioned to her that I know our Wal-Mart will take the cakes and place them on a metal rack....and has a sign that says..."Opps, baked too much" and it holds the old decorated cakes on there that they couldn't sell....and the date that is on it....has been 4 to 5 days later?? And that's been sitting out of a cooler and they still sell those at a lower cost. My main thing was to even find out if anyone else had EVEN HEARD of a cake soured or not....LOL

Children Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:07am
post #20 of 22

When you bake your cake do just use the cake mix or do you add sour cream and those kind of ingredients? That is all I can think of on the "sour" taste. She's most likely trying to get something for free.

ziggytarheel Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 10:54am
post #21 of 22

It's early and maybe I'm not thinking clearly, but I seem to remember a thread a few months back about some bad DH mixes? Just certain lot numbers? Anyone else remember this?

Other than that, sour cake sounds....crazy!

michellenj Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 11:15am
post #22 of 22

I think she just didn't like it, or it tastes different from the ones she usually gets, or something like that. There's no way it "soured".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%