How Long Will Leftover Satin Ice Stay Good?

Decorating By cakecastle Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 8:17pm by butterflywings

cakecastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecastle Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 10

My oldest dd's Sweet 16 is coming up in July and her colors are pink & black. Her cake will be iced in BC, but will have fondant accents. I was thinking about buying a 2# pail of black Satin Ice instead of dealing with the hassle of trying to make my own and get it truly black. I was wondering how long will any leftover fondant last? I hate to throw it out. Thanks!

ETA: Also who has the best prices on Satin Ice...Global Sugar Art, Into the Oven, any others?

9 replies
butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 10

on the bucket it says you can store for up to 1 year in air tight container.

i buy my SI from a local cake supply store, but if you google Satin Ice you can get several sites that sell and just compare their price AND shipping costs to find out which is best for you.

cakecastle Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks! I was thinking it might say so on the bucket, but since I've never used it I wasn't sure. I wish I could find a good local supply shop around here, something other than Michael's and Hobby Lobby. They have such a limited inventory and don't sell all the wonderful things I read about on here.

butterflywings Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 10

i found my little shop (and it is TINY) quite by accident. Her shop is listed as Elaine's Baking & Kitchen Supplies and I went to visit b/c she has Magic Line Pans.. boy was I surprised to find all the stuff she has!!!

cakecastle Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 10

There used to be one really close me, but she moved several years ago. And back then I didn't make cakes, I ordered them from her......I was very sad to see her go. I remember everytime I would pick up a cake the heavenly aroma that would come from the box, mmmmm. I swear I would probably lift the lid at least 20 times to sniff it before the party, lol.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 10

I seal mine up in a food saver bag. I find any where the bag is not tight to the surface of the fondant, the fondant tends to dry out. Sucking the air out by mouth of a ziplock bag should work too

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:45pm
post #7 of 10

Fondantsource . com has great prices and if you put cakecentral in the coupon code you can get 10% off. Satin Ice is good for up to a year if stored well!!

cakecastle Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:54pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:10pm
post #9 of 10

I usually put mine in a ziploc bag, squeezing out all the air before closing. then i put it in an airtight container.

butterflywings Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 8:17pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessfmaldonado

Fondantsource . com has great prices and if you put cakecentral in the coupon code you can get 10% off. Satin Ice is good for up to a year if stored well!!

thank you for posting this... i've been wracking my brain trying to remember who i ordered from when i bought it online....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%