Shipping To Iraq?

Decorating By Parable Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 2:33am by Parable

Parable Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 11

I know this has been discussed awhile ago but when I did a search nothing comes up. Guess the crash got it too!

Anyhow, my nephew (18 years old) just joined the Marine's last year and he has now been sent to Iraq. His birthday is coming up and I would like to make something to ship to him and his buddies. I need everyones suggestions on what ships well and will be in one piece when it arrived. Also any packing advice would most certainly be appreciated. Thanks, Judy

10 replies
mkolmar Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 11

First of all a big thanks to your nephew. I'm a former Marine (or a Marine as Indy puts it) I've been out for a while but a good part of my heart still belongs there. My DH was a Marine also. We use to get cookies shipped to us and bars. They just need to be in those packages that suck all the air out to seal them up real good.
If you want to send him a cake and are worried about it getting there in one piece or in a timely manner there is actually a company that makes b-day cakes for our troops overseas for free and ships them so they get there super fast. I wish I could remember the name of the company. You can do a google search if needed. When I get home later tonight I'll try looking it up for you and sending it by pm.

Parable Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 11

Thank you thank you thank you.

Auryn Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 11

First of all
my thanks and love to your nephew for his service and courage.
I ship about a box a week to my bf currently stationed in dubai.
The average daily high over there is around 115oF right now, so I would say don't send anything that can melt, like chocolate bars, chocolate chip cookies.

I ship his care packages via USPS priority, I use the large flat rate boxes. They usually get there in 1 week, but I have had a couple take as long as 2 weeks to get there. Granted he is in a very out of the way base.

I have sent him penut butter cookies and chocolate sugar cookies (made from scratch) and they have arrived perfectly- he and his boys love them and when well wrapped the cookies easily last 2-3 weeks without losing quality. I double wrap them in saran wrap and then put them in 2 ziplock bags- I don't have one of those air sucking things.

I don't use 'packing peanuts' or bubble wrap to secure the packing, I usually use individually wrapped twizzlers, socks, t-shirts etc. Packing peanuts and bubble wrap are a waste of space and money- the large box costs around $12 to ship.

You want the box to be as tightly packed as possible, the less stuff moves the better.

As far as sending him a cake- just remember that these boxes get tossed around and lugged on and off airplanes, choppers etc. I'd be afraid that a cake would be too fragile.

mkolmar, Id love to know the name of that company too, my guy's bday is coming up in July.

mkolmar Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 11

Here is one place that is trying to raise funds in Sept. to help out.

I couldn't find the info. about the cake place I saw months ago on TV, I'm sorry.
I did find some places that make cakes and ship though, but it got kind of pricey.

Parable Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:27am
post #6 of 11

Thanks for all the good advice. I was considering baking pound cakes but after this information I think I will stick with cookies......well wrapped.

If anyone else has advice, lets keep this going for our troops' sake.

miss_sweetstory Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 11

FYI...The USPS recently introduced a new flat rate shipping box specifically intended to be sent to APO/FPO addresses. It is a few dollars cheaper to ship than the flat rate box of the same size that goes to regular domestic addresses.

Just request one at the post office (they are free) or request a pack of ten boxes at (they are delivered right to your!

Parable Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:41pm
post #8 of 11

Well, here are the cookies and etc that hit the post office today @ noon. Keep your fingers crossed that they arrive in tact!!!!!! Made them using devils food cake mix and boy are they yummy, tasted kind of like brownies. They are suppose to look like little birthday cakes. I used RI to hopefully (NOT MELT).

Funny thing, cookies made with cake mix taste like brownies?????

Auryn Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:56pm
post #9 of 11

ohhh that looks soo good
trust me even if he gets a baggy of mushy chocolate cookies
hell love em.

Parable Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 8:22pm
post #10 of 11

BTW, I tried to find the website for the cakes to Iraq but no luck.

Parable Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:33am
post #11 of 11

Just an update I forgot to post. the cookies made it to my nephew in tact, not one broken, and in time for his birthday on June 15th. He was able to call his mom and dad on the 15th to wish his dad Happy Father's Day and said they thought the cookies were really cool. I was sooooo stoked!

Quote by @%username% on %date%