Cake To Cardboard Circle - How Do You Do It! My Cake Fell

Decorating By alicegop Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 7:10pm by indydebi

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 21

I switched from Crisco to Sweetex, which I really like, but frosting made with sweetex isn't as sticky (one of the things I like about it) so instead of frosting between the cardboard circle and the cake I have been putting piping gel... turns out this is a bad idea. Made it SLICK and the cakes have been sliding off of the cardboard circle icon_cry.gif

My cake yesterday was perfect and then it slid off the circle and CRASHED to the point of no return!

So what can I use? A lady at church said she uses ELMERS GLUE.... no thanks!

20 replies
bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 21

Just thin out your frosting a bit to use it as a glue! I use hi-ratio all the time and just a tiny bit of extra moisture will help hold the cakes.

kelleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleygirl Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 21

can you tell me exactly what is high-ratio shortening and how is it different from regular crisco?

alicegop Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 21

ahhh, good idea on the thining out. Usually I have a decorator bag of stiff ready to do the frosting dam which is what I use... which does not stick. I'll water it down THANKS!

Hi-Ratio.... I think they get extra fat in there... yummy! But I use it because it makes my frosting extra white, so I can use real vanilla instead of clear vanilla and still have regular white frosting (clear vanilla makes it GLEAMING white). It is also less sticky, I can pinch off a piece, form it into a cube in my bare undoctored fingers and roll it around in my hand! So it crusts up VERY WELL! If you accidentally damage the frosting it fixes up well too because I can just mold it with my fingers.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 21

Do you think the lady at your church was serious about using Elmer's Glue beneath her cakes?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebBTX

Do you think the lady at your church was serious about using Elmer's Glue beneath her cakes?

Enquiring Minds want to know!

alicegop Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 10:53pm
post #7 of 21

No, she was dead serious. Elmers is non toxic... so okay. and if it works for her fine.... but I don't think I want to do that. there are other options I'm sure. I'll try watering down my frosting, but I'd still like some ideas of something that will really glue it down to the cardboard... but not alter the taste (elmers definately has a taste). I was thinking of using gumpaste mix and water to make a glue. My friend says she uses this to glue down the ribbon to a cake and it like cement! Fondant comes off with the ribbon, but that ribbon is on there!

indydebi Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:08am
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicegop

No, she was dead serious. Elmers is non toxic... so okay.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I can see her advertising campaign now....

"You wont' be hungry after eating my cakes! They stick to you like glue!"

"Love cake so much that you just tell your friends, 'Forget the fork, just glue it to my hips!' ? Well, with MY cakes you can eat your cake AND glue it to your hips all at the same time!"

"Friends always trying to sabotage your diet and you want to tell them to take their cake and "stick it.....!"? We can take care of that for you!"
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

DebBTX Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:23am
post #9 of 21

[quote="alicegop"]No, she was dead serious. Elmers is non toxic...

My goodness, I have never heard of such a thing!

As for you Indydebi, I am still shaking my head. My...my...my.
Where did that girl get her sense of humor? icon_lol.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 11:51am
post #10 of 21

maybe she puts the elmers in between the two cake boards not the cake and board. Like when you stick the cake on a board then on the base board

cakecastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecastle Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:30pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I can see her advertising campaign now....

"You wont' be hungry after eating my cakes! They stick to you like glue!"

"Love cake so much that you just tell your friends, 'Forget the fork, just glue it to my hips!' ? Well, with MY cakes you can eat your cake AND glue it to your hips all at the same time!"

"Friends always trying to sabotage your diet and you want to tell them to take their cake and "stick it.....!"? We can take care of that for you!"
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

LMBO, how do you come up with this stuff?

indydebi Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:13pm
post #12 of 21

I'm married to a stand up comedian ... who do you think his head writer is? icon_rolleyes.gif

DebBTX Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:41pm
post #13 of 21

Indydebi,
If we ever travel your direction, I plan to call you ahead of time and see if you will have a few minutes to show off your new place and visit. I bet that little while would be fun. - The Other Debbie

P.S. Do you charge for the tour? icon_lol.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:42pm
post #14 of 21

wait wait wait... i use elmers too but it may not be like you think... the cake itself if on a same size cardboard with nothing between cake and board, then that BOARD is glued to the larger, decorative board. Maybe thats what the lady meant too?

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:56pm
post #15 of 21

I don't use anything to "glue" my cakes to the board...but if you really want to use something, stick with frosting or try royal icing, maybe even chocolate.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:57pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

wait wait wait... i use elmers too but it may not be like you think... the cake itself if on a same size cardboard with nothing between cake and board, then that BOARD is glued to the larger, decorative board. Maybe thats what the lady meant too?

yes, this is what I was thinking. you could also try royal icing.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:57pm
post #17 of 21

I hope you think twice next time she offers you a slice of her cake!

Indy~You crack me up!

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 6:59pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

I've heard of other people doing this also and wonder if this is what she meant?? If not...crazy!!!!

I too use hi-ratio and use the same icing consistency I use to ice the cake and have no trouble with my cake sticking to the board.

DebBTX Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:00pm
post #19 of 21

I'm not sure what her friend meant concerning the glue, but when they were talking about it, the discussion was about how to keep the actual cake from sliding off the cardboard. Frosting and piping gel had not worked. I continued to think the glue must have been touching the cake because it was mentioned that Elmer's Glue is non-toxic. She also had said that Elmer's has a taste that she didn't want on her cake.
Sorry if I misunderstood.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:00pm
post #20 of 21

Use royal icing to glue your cake to the board if you want.

indydebi Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:10pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebBTX

Indydebi,
If we ever travel your direction, I plan to call you ahead of time and see if you will have a few minutes to show off your new place and visit. I bet that little while would be fun. - The Other Debbie

P.S. Do you charge for the tour? icon_lol.gif

The door is always open! (And if it's not, I only live 3 minutes from the shop!) 10 cent tour for a quarter! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%