Feedback On New Name/logo

Business By Swede-cakes Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 11:37pm by Swede-cakes

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 28

Hi all! Now that I'm legal, the next step is finishing the business cards and having my brother complete my website.

I've had this name picked out for a while (since last year), but I'd really like any thoughts you have on it. I've seen so many artistic, creative names and logos for other CC'ers new businesses, I'm not so sure about mine anymore.

Tia!
~Kristen
LL
LL

27 replies
lulus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lulus Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 28

Hi,
First of all, I really like the font and colors on the logo. As far as the name is concerned, just Cakes 5th Avenue seems a little disjointed to me. Cakes at 5th Avenue, or 5th Avenue Cakes would sound better. Just my 2 cents.

btrsktch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
btrsktch Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 28

ITA with lulus. I think 5th Avenue Cakes sounds much better.

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 28

I also agree the 5th Ave. Cakes sounds better.

Swede-cakes Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 28

Hmmm... It's meant to be a play on words from Saks Fifth Avenue, somewhat interpretive of the quality of product, but I kind of see what you mean.

There is a Fifth Avenue Cakes and Catering in Houston from what I could Google. But no one has either fifthavenuecakes.com or 5thavenuecakes.com taken as domains.

My other thought is that the name of my street, Partridge Berry Lane, is changing to Primrose Lane as of July 1 this year. (Nope, I don't live on 5th Avenue! lol!)

What about something with Primrose in it? Primrose Cakery? Anything else come to mind? Just throw it out there! icon_smile.gif

the cakes5thavenue.com domain that I purchased last Summer is up for renewal soon, so I really hope to settle this before then.

Thanks!

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 28

primrose cakes
primrose cakery
primrose lane cakes (maybe too personal...?)

I also like fifth avenue cakes or fifth avenue cakery

the names with primrose in them can lend themselves to really cute logos.

Swede-cakes Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 28

C**P! I just thought of something. I'm recently licensed and inspected with the state under the name Cakes 5th Avenue. If I change the name, I may have to go thru red tape. Shoot!

I was starting to like Primrose Cakery!

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 28

i like the logo and the name (5th ave. cakes, that is).

ashley

lilacc01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilacc01 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 11:00pm
post #9 of 28

Primrose Cakery sounds sweet. I am in the vast minority but I got the Saks reference right away and thought it sounded sophisticated. It makes me think of something luxurious and of outstanding quality.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 11:59pm
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacc01

Primrose Cakery sounds sweet. I am in the vast minority but I got the Saks reference right away and thought it sounded sophisticated. It makes me think of something luxurious and of outstanding quality.

I agree...it's also the first thing that came to my mind!

julesn20716 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesn20716 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:07am
post #11 of 28

I like "Cakes 5th Ave" just the way you had it - and on the mocha background too.

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:07am
post #12 of 28

I got the Cakes 5th Ave/Saks Fifth Ave. thing as soon as I saw the logo and thought it was very clever! But I suppose if you have to explain it over and over it kinda loses a little something. Either way.. my votes on the original (with mocha background thumbs_up.gif )

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:10am
post #13 of 28

I got the Saks reference right away too. I have to say 5th Avenue Cakes seems to flow better though. I love Primrose Cakery. It sounds very elegant, classy and old-timey (in a good way, sorry, I couldn't come up with the right word!).

mayamia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayamia Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:14am
post #14 of 28

cakes 5th avenue sounds sophisticated, I really like it, I think if you would call it 5th ave cakes you dont think people would think the place is in a street called 5th ave. ( just thinking outloud icon_confused.gif )

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:42am
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by skichic68

Hi all! Now that I'm legal, the next step is finishing the business cards and having my brother complete my website.

I've had this name picked out for a while (since last year), but I'd really like any thoughts you have on it. I've seen so many artistic, creative names and logos for other CC'ers new businesses, I'm not so sure about mine anymore.

Tia!
~Kristen

Hi Kristen,

I like it,it sounds very upscale and classy...the logo is perfect... I say stick to your dream, if you've had the seeds planted and name picked out for awhile and its now come into fruition, it must mean its meant to be...

Great job on the name and logo, I wish you much success...

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:43am
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelykaye

I also agree the 5th Ave. Cakes sounds better.

I totally agree with this. Think of how websites often list vendors too....a numerical name would go before all those bakers that always start their company name with "Sweet ________" or "Cakes by ________" or "Sugar _______". There are SO many companies out there with similar-sounding names, it's confusing at best.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:46am
post #17 of 28

. . . I also "got" the Saks connection (and we don't even have them in Canada) . . . so I wouldn't change it to Cakes on 5th Avenue . . . either stick with your original idea (and the story behind it) . . . or change it completely to reflect your Primrose idea . . .

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:51am
post #18 of 28

I didn't get the Saks reference on first read, and first read is what is really going to matter with your logo. Now that I understand it, I like the play on words, but you need to reinforce that in your actual logo. I wonder how far you can spoof their logo without plagiarizing it or running afoul of copyright laws? For example, I noticed in the SFA logo ALL of the words are written out in script, and all the same size. In your CFA version, with only "Cakes" in script, I really just read Cakes as your business name...5th Avenue was more like an address, not part of the name, so I agreed w/the others: "Cakes" was not an interesting name for a business. Also I'd prefer to see the word "Cakes" in a more interesting font, that one kind of falls flat for me (no offense!!)

This little mock up is definitely derivative of the SFA logo, although it does not use their fonts nor "white-on-black" theme, also the Saks logo is always cut off at the left edge, and the "5th Avenue" is much smaller (hard to tell w/a script font)...so there are things you can avoid doing to keep it from being overly derivative. The things that are similar of course are simply the concept of "script writing" with the words on separate lines, with the 2nd line off to the right. I think if you went more in this direction the intent would come through more clearly.

Just my 2 cents, but I hope my 2c helps icon_smile.gif!
LL

Swede-cakes Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:59am
post #19 of 28

Wow! You all are giving me things for my brain to chew on, for sure. I appreciate that! i emailed the State person in charge of my application to ask what I'd need to do if I had to change my business name. In even starting this thread, I know now that I won't be filing for an LLC until I get this name issue settled.

bizatchgirl, I'm thinking you mean "vintage", huh? Yes, I agree, it calls up some feeling of nostalgia with the name Primrose Cakery.

ceshell, no offense taken. icon_smile.gif I understand all of what you're talking about. I like your mock-ups, esp the one with the mocha square. (You obviously don't just decorate cakes! Lol!) I'm leaning towards keeping my original name, but reworking the logo. Thank you for all your candid comments and advice.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:33am
post #20 of 28

Yes, you got it. Nostalgic best fits what I meant, but vintage works well too. I have a touch of the flu so my brain isn't working. I'm glad you didn't take it the wrong way!

dandy207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandy207 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:37am
post #21 of 28

I vote for cakes 5th ave. I think its sophisticated sounded and professional

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:25am
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by skichic68

ceshell, no offense taken. icon_smile.gif I understand all of what you're talking about. I like your mock-ups, esp the one with the mocha square. (You obviously don't just decorate cakes! Lol!) I'm leaning towards keeping my original name, but reworking the logo. Thank you for all your candid comments and advice.

Yep, you've got me pegged, I'm actually a graphic designer icon_cool.gif. Apparently, not a very good one either, LOL! I made a booboo on the 2nd mock-up, forgot to change the font the whole way thru. Here's how it was supposed to look. Not that it's that different but I am a compulsive error-corrector icon_redface.gif (I changed the background too just to match).
LL

lilacc01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilacc01 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:49pm
post #23 of 28

I like the first font, but I rather the second's capital letters. Very nice logos!!!!!!!!!

Swede-cakes Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:06pm
post #24 of 28

I agree, I like the font on the right. My brother's a graphic designer too, down in sunny FLA. He's tasked me with writing copy for my website, so I have to start coming up with the blahblahblah. The logo is MUCH more FUN to play around with! icon_smile.gif

Thanks for all the feedback, CC'ers! I love when great minds come together!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:16pm
post #25 of 28

I'll go sit on the other side of the room, since I'm in the minority. I got the whole Saks attempt, too, and I think it sounds really pretentious. Not sophisticated, not one bit elegant, not upscale and not at all classy. Just the opposite, in fact. 'wannabe' was my first thought.

Something using the name Primrose would be cute.

Swede-cakes Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:53pm
post #26 of 28

Wow, chutzpah. It's really not any those things? So, in your opinion, it's the Saks thing that bugs the crap out of you? icon_smile.gif

What about bakery names with the word Couture or Boutique or Posh or anything else indicative of a high level of expectation? Are those just as pretentious?

It's fine that you don't like it, and I don't mind that you posted your opinion. Seriously. I'm not looking for a bunch of nodding heads here, but you really know how to deliver a punch!

Btw, I recall you posting recently in a different thread about how your employees' hygiene is of utmost importance to you. Do you have a storefront or are you home based? What's the name of your business, and how did you come up with it? I'm always interested in hearing about how other CC'ers came up with their names.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:59pm
post #27 of 28

I have a storefront. Where I live it is absolutely not legal to ever sell any food made in your home.

Well there are very few things which bug the crap out of me. Poor table manners is one of them, careless drivers is yet another. And yes, I do roll my eyes a little at Couture and Posh and all that. I wouldn't say anything unsolicited to folks about their choices, but you did ask....... icon_smile.gif

I can't remember really how I came up with my business name, but I do get lots of compliments on it. And the fact that my street name translates to Love Street ain't half bad, either! Makin' weddin' cakes on Loooove Street!

Swede-cakes Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 11:37pm
post #28 of 28

Well, then you're certainly lucky to have a street name that ties in to your business so nicely! Most of the rest of us just try to come up with something creative that doesn't sound like everyone else's name. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%