Any Suggestions For The Fountain And Pillars?

Decorating By Iheartcake Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 1:51pm by Iheartcake

Iheartcake Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 6

My friend just informed me she loves the Wilton Fountain and wants to incorporate it into her cake design. I have a fear of the unknown and have stayed away from using pillars since they look to me like a disaster waiting to happen. Can anyone offer any tips/suggestions? Does the wilton fountain come with any of the pillars and plates or do they have to be bought separately?

I'm sure it must be stable..otherwise people wouldn't use them as often as they do.. right?

5 replies
Solecito Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 6

You have to buy them separately. They are strong enough to support cake, but not stable enough to transport your cake already stacked. Trasnport the tiers separetely and assemble on site.

indydebi Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 6

Heck, I started my cake decorating experience during the late 70's when these things were first sold. Every cake I did every single weekend was a fountain and stairs cake, so I cut my cake decorating teeth on these kinds of cakes.

You can stand a small child on this stand and it will hold. They seem wobbly when they are empty, but the weight of the cake holds them securely in place.

To me, these are way more stable and secure than dowels in a stacked cake!

Ladybug6509 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 6

Whenever I use a fountain with pillars, I use the clear gorilla glue on the pillars for the bottom. They don't wobble as much but you can't glue the top on because then you won't be able to get the fountain in. With them glued on you have to gently drop the fountain in from the top but it is easy. No mater what you do, the set up will wobble but it seems a little more secure. When your done you can use a little bit of pressure to pop the pillars off the plate and then just peal the rest of the glue off. This hasn't damaged my crystal plates or white ones.

ccr03 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 6

I've done some - not a lot on these and haven't had any problems (knock on wood).

I do have a suggestion for the fountain though. I got mine on ebay (pm for the seller) and cost me a grand total of $29 - and I LOVE IT!!! It come with two additional accessories - a 'floating spout and a dancing ballerina'.

Iheartcake Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you for the replies! I'm going to go to MIchael's this week and check to see what supplies they have. I don't have time to order online, unfortunately. Weddings in a couple of weeks. My best friend changed her mind on her cake (for the 3rd time icon_lol.gif ). If it were anybody else.......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%