Help - How To Answer Bride On Comments From Others

Business By jenstastycakes Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 2:50pm by jenstastycakes

jenstastycakes Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 12

I got an email from a Bride whose wedding cake I am suppose to be making in 2 weeks. I am not sure how to reply back to her email. Any ideas?

Here is the email I got:

I have a concern regarding the wedding cake you are making for me. A very close friend was at X's wedding and had some comments to share about her cake. She had mentioned to me that the cake tasted as if it was not fully baked and the fondant ribbon was cracked and they used flowers to cover the cracks. I'm sure that this may have been a fluke incident and could be one person's opinion, but none the less, it has raised some concerns on my end. I'm trying my best to make my wedding day special and the wedding cake is a large focal point and all my guests will be enjoying it. Please, please let me know if you feel that my 4-tier cake will be a problem and if you have any concerns on making it. I will completely understand if this is something you don't feel confident making for me. I will also totally back you up if you feel that you can handle this. Let me know your thoughts.

Totally took me by surprise as the bride of the cake she is talking about never once emailed me or called me to complain. I had no idea that this was an issue.

Please help me out on how to reply back to her. Her cake is a 4-tier, fondant ribbon around the bottom of the cake, and scroll work along the sides and top of the cake. The 2 tier will have their mongram piped on.

Any help would be great.

11 replies
acookieobsession Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 12

I guess you would just have to be honest with yourself and her and let her know how you really feel. I would assume you feel confident since you took the order, but jsut be sure. Then do your best job so she will have no reason to complain, especially since she will be hyper alert.

Also, I would let her know that this is the first you have heard from about xx's wedding.

chutzpah Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 12

The couple was probably just thrilled right slap to death with their cake. It was a friend who was a guest at the wedding who had the negative comments.

cocorum21 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 12

It's one thing about the taste. I would say that taste is different for everyone.

As far as a crack on a bow. Seriously I thought there was a 6' rule. If someone is standing that close to the cake to point out cracks then they have issues. If it was a large and noticeable crack then explain that sometimes things happen during transport or set up, if there really was a crack. A crack is not like a collapsing cake icon_cool.gif

good luck icon_smile.gif

cakesbycathy Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 12

Dear Bride,
Thank you for contacting me. I want to reassure you that there is no need for you to be worried at all about your wedding cake. Just like you, I consider the cake to be one of the most important details. I also want your day to be extrodinary. I have complete confidence that I will give you the cake of you dreams.
In regards to the other cake, I am very surprised to hear of any issues with it. That cake was fine when I delivered it. Also, I was never contacted about any problems, so I can only assume that the bride and groom were happy with it.
Rest assured your cake will be wonderful!

(your name here)

If all of this is true, then I would send her this!

dinas27 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:05pm
post #6 of 12

did the bride have a tasting? did she like your cakes? then that is all that matters. Did you show her pictures of your previous work?

If you did do a tasting I would say something like

I stand by the quality of my cake, as you judged during the tasting I provided, after which you booked your wedding cake. I am confident that I can produce the design we discussed. Unfortunately I cannot control what happens to a cake once I have set up and left.

If you want to make suggestions abotu keepign her cake 'perfect' you could include the following...

I would suggest ensuring that the cake table be placed in an area where guests will not bump the table, children be kept away from the cake and that music speakers be kept far from the cake.

ccr03 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 12

I think cakesbycathy is right on!

Her response addressing all the necessary issues.

jenstastycakes Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 12

Thank you all for your wonderful advice and comments. I was totally thrown back by this email. I could understand if the bride herself said these things but that it was said by a person that attending the wedding has really upset me. This was my first wedding cake and to hear this is how people thought of it was just very hard to hear. I have never heard any comments like this before with any of the cakes I have made.

If she does not agree then I guess I was never suppose to make her cake in the first place.

peg818 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:21pm
post #9 of 12

To me it sounds like she has been offered a free cake else where (the friend sounds like she might be a decorator, you know we are the hardest on each other) and wants you to back out cause she doesn't want to pay her.

I think i would tell her what the others are saying here and leave it at that. Then again when i first read it i just wanted to send a message saying F.Y.get your cake else where you stupid B., but then how professional would that be.

jenstastycakes Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:24pm
post #10 of 12

LOL Thanks Peg818 I needed a laugh today. I did reply to this woman and basically stated what everyone here as stated. I have not heard back from her yet.

leah_s Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:27pm
post #11 of 12

It's 2 weeks from the date, right? Isn't this cake completely paid for at this point?

jenstastycakes Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:50pm
post #12 of 12

The final cake payment is due on the 7th. I emailed this person to remind them that their payment is due on the 7th and in reply to my email I received hers with the concern.

I got an email from her this morning and she feels better after talking with me. She would like for me to continue to make her wedding cake with a few changes which were fine with me.

Thanks for all the advice and the help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%