Can I Refrigerate Cake Batter?

Decorating By laura_d_v Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 8:44pm by all4cake

laura_d_v Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 10

I have extra batter from cupcakes I made this morning and am wondering if I can refrigerate it and bake later this week? Will there be any ill effects?

Thanks so much!

9 replies
Sarsi Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 10

I have thrown cake batter in the fridge while I was waiting for other cakes to bake, but I would think that for days, the leavening would die, and so your cakes wouldn't rise correctly....

Muse Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 10

I would think that as long as the bowl is well covered that it will keep for a couple of days. Not like a week or anything, though. And make sure that you bring the batter to room temp before you go to bake it.

laura_d_v Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks for the help.
Sarsi - I had not even thought about the leavening properties and the effect the fridge would have. Hmm...

Well, I had planned on baking it Thursday, for a Saturday shower. I went ahead and put it in the fridge and I guess will see what happens then. I will just have more ingredients on hand if it doesn't turn out.

Thanks a bunch!

all4cake Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 10

I have successfully frozen cake batter for a week.

I portioned it out into the desired prepared cake pans...placed a piece of parchment lightly on top(to prevent cystals from possibly forming directly on batter surface....wrapped well in plastic wrap and placed in deep freezer.

Preheat oven and bake at same temperature as called for originally, except...check cake at original bake time ....5 or so minutes additional bake time may be required depending on recipe.

This test was conducted using scratch recipes....with leavening agents and folded in eggwhites.

There were no negative results with flavor or texture found within the one week time frame.

laura_d_v Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 10

all4cake - Thanks so much for that info! It's good to know that someone out there has tested this with positive effects.

butterflywings Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:12pm
post #7 of 10

i refridgerate batter all the time ( i use doctored mixes ) and never had any ill effects. now, i usually use mine within a few days (the longest might have been from monday to a friday). i have let the batter come to room temp and baked just like fresh, but i've also baked when the batter was still chilled and the only difference was there was not quite as much doom as the fresh.

all4cake Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:22pm
post #8 of 10

I did bake mine directly from the freezer without thawing....strange, ain't it?

I performed this test because I found myself with slow days in the earlier part of the the week progressed, the amount of work increased. If I were able to do a variety of sizes(most popular) and have the mixers freed up as well as prep areas, I could focus on other things...

Same work, just done in a more convenient way for me.

Kahuna Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:12pm
post #9 of 10

thanks for sharing this, I've always wondered if that would work!!

all4cake Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 8:44pm
post #10 of 10

If you find yourself making cupcakes and have remaining batter, prepare a 6" pan and try the test with your favorite recipe. Each recipe's results may vary somewhat...

Make sure to make notations of your findings on your recipe! The information will help you oodles in crunch times!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%