Can I Ask For Some Pricing Help?

Business By KristinAnn Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 11:44pm by sari66

KristinAnn Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 6

I'm mostly a hobby decorator, but I have sold 5 or 6 cakes and I've been asked to do a first birthday cake for a friend's daughter. I typically charge too little for my time, but I'm trying to work up the confidence to ask a bit more.

Anyway, this cake is 2 4" high tiers, a 6" round on top of a 9" round. My friend is trying to decide whether she wants all fondant or buttercream with fondant accents. Each tier is a different color with big circle cutouts. Other decorations include a fondant number 1 and fondant balloons. It will match the invitations.

The price I quoted was $65 for bc and $90 for all fondant. When I told my friend the prices, she didn't say anything either way. When I worked out the price, I thought it was ok, now I'm second guessing myself that it is too high. It doesn't help that my DH told her husband that my prices are cheap, so I wonder if they were expecting a tiered fondant cake to feed 40 people for the price of a WalMart sheet cake!!

So honestly, am I charging too much? Not enough? My friends are impressed by my cakes, but I'm truly a beginner, no where near the same league as many of you. So I do like to take that into consideration with pricing.

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kristin

5 replies
BigTexinWV Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 6

Ok, I would suggest sitting down and calculating how long it will take you to make this cake. Be very honest with yourself starting from mixing the batter, cooking and all the decorating. Next figure out how much it actually cost to make the cake materials wise. Write it all outâseriously! Pen and paper. Then you can decide for yourself if you are charging too much.

I would tape that piece of paper to the fridge so I can I remind myself of how much my cakes are worth. If you think you are charging to much lower your prices. IMHO you will be happy with the price that YOU set. Only you know how much your time is worth!

KristinAnn Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 6

I did sit down and figure out supply costs, time etc. I tried using Alice's pricing matrix, plus did a little estimating on my own. That's how I came up with the prices I did. I guess I should have asked more specifically what other decorators here would charge for a similar cake, so I have an idea where the prices I quoted her would fall when compared to others.

Thanks for you input -- it does make sense.

Kristin

BigTexinWV Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 6

I just make my cakes and give them away to friends and family. It is just a hobby. But to me your prices seem fine to me. People at work sometimes want to know how much I would charge for some of the cakes I bring for free. I told one woman $45 for a 6 inch pink fondant covered cakes with small pearls all over it and a RI tierra on top. She almost choked on her cake. Then I explained that I hand made all those pearls then painted them. That tierra took a special batch of icing -- three attemps icon_cry.gif and 4 days to dry icon_mad.gif . I spent about 10 hours on that cake. Not counting the baking! Granted I am still learning so hopefully next time I could go faster. ALOT FASTER!

She was VERY thankful for her free cake. icon_lol.gif

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 6

I charge $125 for that exact cake. I don't ask for $125...that is what I charge. And the last time my hubby told someone I worked cheap (he was clueless) I volunteered him mow my elderly neighbors corner yard and pluck her flowerbeds.....in August. Did I mention I live in Houston??? tapedshut.gif

sari66 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 6

First off tell your husband never to sell you cheaply to anyone!!
Next $90 is the cheapest that I would sell a cake like the one you're describing and that is the friendship price!
Figure out what it's going to take to make it then go from there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%