Question Re: Which Color And Fading Gumpaste

Decorating By ahuvas Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 11:49pm by ceshell

ahuvas Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:32pm
post #1 of 6

Hi

Can someone advise me which color gel (I can buy Americolor or Wilton) for Dorothy the Dinosaur. I tried a mixture and ruined an entire batch of gumpaste?

Also I made some gumpaste roses and weirdly the color faded at the tips of the rose? Is this normal? Is there any way I can stop this? I dont really want to have to purchase petal powder if I dont have to?

5 replies
wgoat5 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 6

Blue, purple and pink.. they can cause trouble..

Make your decorations and hide them from the light.. icon_sad.gif it's hard to dry something that you have to hide from the light icon_sad.gif ...

I have stuck my gp work in the oven (not gas oven) with the light off if it is in these colors.

ahuvas Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks.

Which color do you think I should pick for Dorothy the dinosaur?
LL

ceshell Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:22am
post #4 of 6

Egad, that is a tough question. What mixture did you use, that didn't work out? To me she looks like mostly a leaf green with maybe a TOUCH of blue. Like, the tiniest hint.

As for your roses, as Christi said, colors w/red in them fade in light, and I've noticed the thinner the gp, the quicker it will fade. So yes, keep them out of the light and yes, it stinks for trying to dry them since generally speaking a dark place also is a place with minimal air circulation. I remember redoing a few pink things that I'd let dry on the counter for an HOUR, they faded so fast. Grr! (Mind you my kitchen was quite bright)

ahuvas Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 11:03am
post #5 of 6

I think I tried leaf green ad a bit of teal but because it gets darker as it sits its so hard to see when to stop.

ceshell Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 11:49pm
post #6 of 6

Good point about the getting darker thing, that definitely makes it hard to adjust your colors unless you have an infinite amount of time to wait for the colors to ripen. So...it turned out too blue? I hate to ask this but did you add even more green at that point, or just chuck it? You could add more green-only gp so that at least you wouldn't have to redo the ENTIRE batch...

Edited to add: I've seen a few mixing charts around, and coincidentally CCer "diane" just posted this mixing chart, don't know if it would help but here goes http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5958447.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%