1St Wedding Cake This Week, Need Help. Please

Decorating By Chefperl Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 4:05pm by josiehood

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:07pm
post #1 of 5

I am so nervous. OK so the cake is simple 4 tiers (bottom is a dummy the cakes are 12x3, 10x3, and 6x3 ) covered in Buttercream with their monogram on the second tier and fondant ribbon on each tier.
Ok so here is where I need help. The cake is ivory, how do i make ivory? use brown? The wedding is about 45 minutes away. Do I set it up there? or bring it set up? I am worried about setting it up there because of the fondant ribbons and no border. How to I dowel it? do i dowel the dummy? or can it hold enough of the weight? I know i dowel each tier and then one down the entire cake.
Also can i make the cakes on wed. ice it on thursday for a friday evening wedding? or do i have to ice on friday since it is buttercream?
thank you.

4 replies
vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Quote:

how do i make ivory

I use the Americolor Ivory gel. I have made alot of ivory wedding cakes and I find it easiest to add the drops of gel along with my other liquid when making my buttercream. I use a recipe that has 30oz shortening (a little over 4 cups) to 5lbs powdered sugar. I have found that 12 drops per batch makes a really good pure ivory.

Quote:
Quote:

The wedding is about 45 minutes away. Do I set it up there? or bring it set up?I am worried about setting it up there because of the fondant ribbons and no border. How to I dowel it? do i dowel the dummy? or can it hold enough of the weight? I know i dowel each tier and then one down the entire cake.

That is really up to you and how much you can lift, or if you have someone that can lift it for you. Personally, I cannot lift anything and carry it for a distance over 2 tiers, but my husband will carry a 3 tier cake. When it's a 4 tier, I just add the top when I get there.

I use the Bakery Craft SPS system, so I personally do not use dowels, but others do. All my cakes are exactly a little over 4", and the precut SPS 4" rods work perfect for me. In your case, you would have to cut these rods since your cakes are only going to be 3" high.

As for the fondant ribbon, I cut mine in a long strip so I can place the entire strip around the cake. It is really best to have the cake on a strong turntable when applying the ribbon if no one is there to help turn the cake for you. I just did a 4 tier wedding cake with fondant ribbons and no border. I stacked the 3 bottom tiers, then applied the fondant ribbon. I put the top tier on at the reception hall, then applied the fondant ribbon there. I wrapped my fondant ribbon up along with vinyl (it's stronger than waxed paper) to keep it from stretching as I put it on there. I have tried wrapping fondant ribbon up into itself but it sticks for me. Cornstarch can be applied to help this but when you use dark colors it shows some.

Quote:
Quote:

Also can i make the cakes on wed. ice it on thursday for a friday evening wedding? or do i have to ice on friday since it is buttercream?

Your schedule is fine, for a Saturday wedding, I always bake or unfreeze my cakes on Thursday, then fill and crumb coat on Thursday afternoon/evening. I then ice and decorate on Friday.

Muse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muse Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 5

Good luck with the first wedding cake. My first wedding cake was a little bit more than I could confidently handle, but as long as you know you can do it then it should be great.

Let's just say carving a cake dummy for the first time should not be done on a paid cake.

Darci

CSMoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSMoore Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 5

For ivory icing, I normally use the regular brown vanilla flavoring instead of powered or clear. That simple and it will be ivory. Especially noticeable when you put something white up against it. I transport all of my cakes assembled. I make sure I use plenty of support (i use the bubble teas straws instead of wood dowels and have never had any problems). I put about 6 -10 straws in each tier depending on the size, then I sharpen a wooden dowel and stick it down the center of the entire cake. You have to use a hammer to get it through the cake boards...two gentle hits with the hammer and its in. As for making the cake, i think you're fine for baking Wednesday, leveling and icing Thrusday, and delivery Friday. Good luck

josiehood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josiehood Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 5

thumbs_up.gif i remember doing my first wedding cake last year at this time! this is what i have learned since...if you arent using columns, i would definitely suggest assembling the cake at the venue. this way you dont have quite as many mishaps, such as someones thumb going into a layer... i have found that with straight layer cakes its just as easy to bring them unassembled.

i wish you all the best of luck! we have all been right where you are and its scary!

~my first cake was ivory too...must be a trend! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%