400 Cupcakes For A Wedding...help

Business By armywifebryan Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 5:37am by mommachris

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 11:03pm
post #31 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

SweetConfectionsChef.. My oven doesn't like to cook that many sheet pans.. the top ones never cook the same. Could just be we have different ovens that distribute heat differently. icon_smile.gif I can do a bunch of cake pans because there is space between them.. just not sheet pans. I cook my cupcakes in paper brioche molds on sheet pans rather than in cupcake pans.. that could be it too. I bake at 335 too.

Well, maybe you should have said that instead of telling her that my advice wouldn't work. thumbsdown.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:50am
post #32 of 46

Get over yourself.. in my experience it wouldn't work.

Much easier to say that you have done it and it works fine rather than getting into a huff for no reason. icon_confused.gif

editing to add that my cookie sheets are the same size as my cupcake pans so it wouldn't matter which I used.. in my oven.. this wouldn't work well. I figured I would just give a different perspective so if it didn't work well she'd know that she wasn't the only one. Nothing personal..

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:43am
post #33 of 46

In your post you didn't say "in my experience" or anything about your oven, the size of your pans or anything tactful. You just said it wouldn't work so maybe I'm not the one who needs to get over herself...maybe you need to realize that just because you don't "think" something will work doesn't mean it won't/doesn't. And maybe you need to think twice before you slam someone else when you really don't know what you are talking about.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:09am
post #34 of 46

woah. Really? Its cake and ovens...

Anyhow, 400 cupcakes isn't as daunting as it sounds. I did 500 in January and thought I was going to die before it started. But I really stayed on task with my rotation of pans and had them all baked in less than 6 hours. just a regular oven, 4 - 12 cupcake pans could fit at a time.

I also pre-made RI decorations, so I baked Thursday, iced Friday, stuck on the decorations and they were done.

Good luck!

FromScratch Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:27am
post #35 of 46

Good lord.. it's cupcakes and thoughts about an oven. Next time I'll be sure to preface anything I say with "Now I could be wrong but.." icon_confused.gif

I do know what I am talking about.. if I did what you said to do 1/2 of my cupcakes would have come out lop-sided. So conversely what works for you won't work for everyone. I have never made a statement that said my word is law.. no one here has.

Please.. I am not trying to start a war here.. I simply spoke from my experience. I kind of figured that's what all of us do here.. speak from our own personal experience.

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:56am
post #36 of 46

So I reread this entire thread and I must say...I jumped the gun calling Jkalman out! I'm so sorry! My preggo, exhausted, mush brain is taking things so personally! Sorry to anyone who took offense to my being a bitty exspecially Jkalman!! icon_redface.gif

FromScratch Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:58am
post #37 of 46

((hugs)) icon_smile.gif

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:31am
post #38 of 46

I actually just did 280. They were for an event in the evening. I started around noon and had them ready and set up by six. If you normally have to turn your cakes to get them to cook evenly and level, I'd suggest only two pans. I have the same problem as jkalman when trying to bake with more than that. In any event, it wasn't terribly difficult.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:50pm
post #39 of 46

Could I ask how it works to bake cupcakes at 335? I've been on the cupcake forum and we've all been baking ours at 350.

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:26pm
post #40 of 46

Since I bake so many at one time I lower the temp so the bottom row of cupcakes do not burn on the bottom and they all bake evenly. It adds about 2 minutes to the baking time.

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:44pm
post #41 of 46

I still ahve to talk to the couple and see if they have a stand or what. If they ask me to provide it, i will have to get the hubby working!!! Does anyone have instructions for homemade stands???.....or maybe a bought stand that they simply love?!?!? Once again, you guys are awesome!!! Thanks for all the help here. The more I think about this job,the more I am leaning towards doing it...IF they accept my price. I really want to get a business going with this so I don't want to go down to low on price and end up being the "cheap cake lady"!! I will definitely get a contract made up just incase they do order. I will put that discount line in there too and highlight it!! icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:51pm
post #42 of 46
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 5:40pm
post #43 of 46

If you, your DH, or someone you know is handy with a hammer, here are Antonia's instructions for her cupcake stand.....

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-22674-stand.html

Good luck!

nicolepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolepa Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:27pm
post #44 of 46

Another option is to use the nut cups (also called souffle cups). The 4 oz cups are the same size as a regular cupcake. I put 2 oz of batter into each cup and they come out perfectly. (I use a 1 oz scooper.)

The nice thing about this is you don't need cupcake pans. Just put them on a cookie sheet, fill and bake. I can get 24 on a cookie sheet. Then while those are cooking, fill the next cookie sheet. Pull the first sheet out put in the second and start filling again.

IMO the baking is the time consuming part. If they truely just want a swirl. I just did a rose swirl on 24 cupcakes in less than 5 minutes.

armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 11:34pm
post #45 of 46

Just wanted to give an update on the cupcake thing....

well, my DH talked to the groom today. Turns out that she was at a bridal shower last week that I made the cake for (my soon to be sister in law's shower icon_lol.gif ). My husband told the groom-to-be all about the cake I made and he was telling his fiance. She says...."wow! that sounds just like I had at that shower the other day". Come to find out she is my soon-to-be sister-in-law's cousin!!!! Crazy how things turn out!!!! Anyways. The cupcake idea is more of a sentimental thing for them...not necessarily a way to go cheaper like we thought. They are all excited, especially the bride-to-be, since she has actually seen and tasted my work. We are going to have a sit down and figure what all they have in mind for these cuppies. Then I will make my decision on whether or not to do them. In the end, I will probably end up taking the job though!! Thanks again for all the help!!

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:37am
post #46 of 46

yikes, small world isn't it?

You are a brave soul in my opinion to even consider this job.
I'm making about 120 mini cuppies for a graduation...they will be turned into bouquets on site. There is one for each child graduating.

I'm worried about the transportation. I already have some nice sturdy boxes ( thanks costco) I'm just hoping there will be room in my van for me, my husband and our eight children along with all those iced cuppies. icon_eek.gif

I'm also just now figuring out out to clear my counters to have room to store the cuppies after I make them that morning. Our dining table is huge but it isn't a safe place. Did I mention the EIGHT children!! The worst offender is my 17 month old who walks across the table to forage for left over pb and j sandwiches.....Nope the table is useless.

so think out your storage and transportation as they are just as important as the actual cooking or at least they can make a 'simple' job into a nightmare. thumbs_up.gif

mommachris

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%