Stacked Coffee Cup Cake

Decorating By SDL79 Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 2:11pm by twooten173

SDL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SDL79 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:15am
post #1 of 4

I have a wedding cake in October that is stacked coffee cups. I am not necessarily worried about the decorating and making of these cakes. Pretty much already know what I am doing for the specific layers, fillings, etc. I am however nervous about the stacking part. I knwo you have to build it on site otherwise you are liable to have a HUGE mess. So when I put the boards in between my layers (like board on the bottom of my top layer to set it on the middle layer, etc.) what do you recommend using?? Also dowels are obviously needed to support the weight from above. Do I need a dowel all the way through?? The cake itself is 3 cups... top one diameter 6 inches, middle 8 inches and bottom 10 inches. I obviously plan on practicing before the big day, but until I tackle it I am nervous about it all! The did not want fondant so I am decorating all in buttercream. Fine by me because I personally think fondant is disgusting. Beautiful to decorate with, but nasty (even the homeade stuff) to eat... way to sweet!

3 replies
twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:47am
post #2 of 4

I wouldn't put a dowel all the way through. Actually I would use the plastic dowels. They are hollow and you can stick them part way in the cake. Set your plate on it and let the weight of the cake take it down. Do this for both layers.

On another note, have you tried Satin Ice? I don't think it is so sweet.

HTH

SDL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SDL79 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 10:26am
post #3 of 4

It is actually 3 layers (cups) for the cake. That's why I was wondering about a dowel all the way through. I've heard mention of the plastic dowels. Any recommendations on where to order them?
As for the Satin Ice I have not tried that before, heard better reviews of it as well. Might have to check it out sometime. As of now I have not done much with fondant except to use it as accents or in conjunction with gumpaste to make other decorations.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 4

You can buy the plastic dowels at Michael's or Joanns. They are about $2 for four of them.

If you run across some Satin Ice, give it a try. I don't do a lot of fondant work either but when I do, I like it because of the taste. It's not too terribly pricey.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%