How To Make A Bath Cake To Feed 50 People

Decorating By elliora Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 4:59am by mommyle

elliora Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:37am
post #1 of 7

Ok, let me first say how much respect I have for all you cake makers. It is hitting me like a ton of bricks at the moment that making a cake is one tough job!

My daughter will be 3 in 2 weeks, and we are having a rubber ducky party. There will be about 50 people, kids and adults. I bought a wilton 3-d duck cake pan. My idea was to use the lemon mousse recipe that comes with the duck pan and use that as more of a decoration since it would not be big enough to feed everyone anyways. The duck was going to sit in a bathtub and I also bought little baby ducks to put around the big duck. Oh and I was hoping for bubbles too. Let me say also I have never really made a cake, and while I love to cook I am not a baker. These are the specific questions I have come up with so far but please feel free to offer any other tips you have, it would be sooo appreciated,

How big of a cake pan do I need to get to feed that many people?

Is it easier to make two cakes or cut one cake in half to fill?

Do I have to use fondant to make the tub or can I just use fondant for the bath fixtures and butter cream for the rest?

Would a pond be easier then a tub?

Am I completely insane, or do I just really love my daughter?

Kidding on the last one, sort of, but anyways any help would be awesome. Also I'm not sure if I should post this separately in the recipe forum but I would love a lemon cake with raspberry filling that would work with this size cake.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

6 replies
mommyle Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:05am
post #2 of 7

OHHHHH!!! You are the BEST mom!!!! What a cute idea!!! I might have to copy that!

Ok. Here you go. The 3-D duck feeds 12 - 15 people on it's own. the baby ducks feed 2. So for 50 people, I would do as many of those as you want, and then put them onto sheet cakes carved into a pond.

remember that wilton servings are 2 1/2 x 2 x 2. And you want enough "pond" to hold all of the ducks.

As for buttercream vs. fondant, do what you are comfortable with. You could even do both on each duck. do the body in BC and the accents (eyes, bill) in fondant. gives you a chance to start getting used to fondant, but still working with what you are comfortable with. perhaps some water-lillies...

Thanks for the great idea!!!!

elliora Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 7

Glad to hear maybe I'm not crazy! Some clarification on my first post, the baby ducks are not edible, just little plastic ones you can stick in the cake. The duck part I'm not planning on serving either since it will be mousse, not cake (Well if people really want a duck from jello and cool whip!)
I was a bit tired last night. Basically the 3-d duck comes with two directions or a cake duck or that mousse duck. I figured I would rather spend my time on the pond or bath since in any case the duck cake would not be big enough. And the mousse recipe is much easier to make then the cake recipe for the duck. Hope that made sense!

I like the pond with water lilies ideas, that sounds cute. How would I carve a pond though?

The wilton serving seems huge in terms of making a sheet cake, would it work to make the cake thicker?

The fondant vs buttercream was for the bath not the duck (The mousse will essentially make a yellow duck that will just need accents, but I may try those in fondant for future practice) I have seen pictures of a bathtub that was covered in white fondant except in the middle where there was blue frosting. But I was wondering if it would look nice also all in buttercream. But I am loving the pond idea now too..... Like I said whichever will be easier factoring in that this will be the main cake and the duck won't take much time.

Also the fondant scares me a little not just because of the work but because of the taste. I've read some previous threads and am not sure if my family would enjoy fondant and if I have enough time to order a brand that tastes good (I'm not sure I could manage to make homemade yet)

Anyone still reading you are the best, thanks!

gottabakenow Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 7

you could put the bathtub on a sheet cake that looks like a floor, to make however many more servings you need. oh, and welcome to CC! icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 7

If you get overwhelmed trying to make a single cake for that many, you could always make a smaller cake and then make some coordinating cupcakes.

If you made a pond, you could just make a large round cake and frost it blue, then pipe (or cut fondant with a pizza cutter into little bitty strips) grass going up the sides.

You should try making marshmallow fondant. It's not hard to do and the ingredients (a bag of marshmallows, 2 lbs powdered sugar, some crisco and some water) are cheap enough that if it didn't work then you wouldn't be out much money. Using fondant really adds to the wow factor on a cake.

Also, try making that lemon mousse first before you really need it. I've never tried it...I don't have that pan yet...but not all recipes work perfectly. If it doesn't work then you'll be able to figure out an alternative, instead of having no ducky at the last minute. Actually, if the lemon mousse doesn't work, maybe you could make the duck with rice krispie treat and then cover it with buttercream for a fluffy ducky look.

elliora Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the welcome, this forum is amazing! I am trying later today the mousse duck so I will report back on the results. I think the blue pond with the grass idea is perfect. I was really not looking forward to making a complex bathtub. The pond will still give me the wow factor but without the hassle of the tub.

I'd like to avoid making separate cupcakes, even though that might be easier. Is it possible to make one round cake to feed that many people? I did see in the pictures on this site where someone made a sheet cake pond and added extra smaller round cakes on top that the duck sat on. So I could use the grass idea on that if I couldn't make one cake.

I've read that for some people the marshmallow fondant is way too sweet, but you are right the ingredients are so cheap I could try and see what I think. I definitely need the wow factor. Last year we did not do a big party but her first birthday cake was a disaster and I had to run to costco that morning to buy a cake! So I am looking to redeem myself this year, but am also keeping quiet this time around to lower the pressure.

mommyle Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 4:59am
post #7 of 7

Hi again.
a 12 x 18 will feed 50, but if you carve it to give it more character, so you could add a smaller round on the top to make the little grass island for the duck to sit on. You should have enough. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%