Stacked Books Cake

Decorating By NatalieJohnson Updated 25 Jul 2008 , 7:10am by coolbananas

NatalieJohnson Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:38am
post #1 of 12

I need to make a fondant cake look like three stacked books. Can I piece the fondant together instead of wrapping the whole board and cake in fondant? Thanks.

11 replies
tlreetz Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:52am
post #2 of 12

make three seperate cakes covered with fondant and then stack them.

sugarshack Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:14am
post #3 of 12

the books I did were easy just time consuming. a thick piece of white scored fondant with the lines was placed on the 3 sides for the pages. the spine and top cover were one piece. i added a TON of tylose to the colored fondant. rolled it out just under 1/4 inch thick. let it set up some before i put it on the cake. go no more than 1/4 inch over the top edge of the cake or cover will droop. I propped the corners up with viva for a while so they would not droop. the bottm "cover" is just strips (1/4 inch wide) applied along the bottom white part of the pages.

danijus Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 12

Don't mean to change the subject but what does the tylose do? I made black fondant and by the time I got the color I wanted the fondant was really soft.

sugarshack Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:45am
post #5 of 12

tylose stiffens it up nice! tylose is an ingredient in gumpaste

katwomen1up Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:50am
post #6 of 12

Sugar Shack, how much BC do you put on the cake before putting on the fondant?

sugarshack Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:04am
post #7 of 12

NatalieJohnson Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:23am
post #8 of 12

You answered my question. Thanks! I knew I had to cover each cake individually but was wondering if it would work to have the bottom "cover" just be the 1/4" strips along the "pages." I'll try it.

sugarshack Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 3:41am
post #9 of 12

yep, it works fine!

katwomen1up Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:48pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks Sharon

doitallmom Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 3:25am
post #11 of 12

I just loved the books you did for your son! I am goint to attempt to do a set. wish me luck!!!

coolbananas Posted 25 Jul 2008 , 7:10am
post #12 of 12

I created a stack of 3 books for my own graduation celebration. -
I found scoring the page marks in the white fondant much easier once it was on the cake but that is really personal preference. I made the cakes in a similar method to that mentioned by SugarShack, ie. using a 5mm(1/4") strip of coloured fondant around the base. However, I did not use tylose or any hardening agent. I just left ample time for the icing to harden on its own.

I have attached a picture of two of the tiers before stacking. In the back ground you can see my 5cm(2") scale model of what I wanted it to look like icon_smile.gif Probably a bit of my engineering back ground coming out.

Good luck,

Quote by @%username% on %date%