Question About Fondant & Fridge....

Decorating By kettlevalleygirl Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 5:13pm by kettlevalleygirl

kettlevalleygirl Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:08am
post #1 of 6

If I bake, torte, fill, crumb coat and place fondant on a cake on a tuesday, could I put it in the fridge and then have it delivered on the Saturday. It will be a plain white fondant, with ribbons placed on site. I will see if i can add the attachment.
I know they say the fondant will sweat, but if it is just plain, what effect will it have?? I will use fillings that don't need to stay in the fridge, but for freshness sake would like to keep it in the fridge.
I have to leave town on the Wednesday, and it is for my daughters friends wedding on the Saturday. I will use a stacking system, the clear wilton ones, and the dowels. But my daughter will stack it and put it together on site.
Thanks in advance!!

5 replies
kettlevalleygirl Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 6

butterflywings Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 6

i think if she can take it out of the fridge that morning (or evening before if the wedding is early in the day) and let it have time to sit out at room temp it should be ok. yes, it will sweat, but given enough time, the sweat will then evaporate.

i might be wrong, and someone who's been doing cakes longer than i have may say differently.

kettlevalleygirl Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks, that is what I was thinking, I can also put it in a fridge downstairs, or part of it, and set the fridge a little warmer.
I was just thinking that the reason you don't want to put the fondant in the fridge is because of the colors running, with the dampness of the sweating, but if I have no color, that should not be an issue.

aswartzw Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 6

I put fondant in the fridge all the time and it's fine. You just don't want to cover it with anything. Maybe put the tiers in their boxes and then wrap the boxes VERY well in Saran Wrap so it's less likely to absorb any smells. When you remove it, just leave it alone. You can always put a fan on it to help with the sweating but you should be completely fine.

kettlevalleygirl Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 6

Great, I will do that. Thanks everybody!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%