Made Cupcakes 4 Tomorrow...how Do I Store Them?

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 7:25pm by Wesha

Trixyinaz Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 19

I made a couple cupcake bouquets for tomorrow, but have no idea how to store them until I deliver them (transporting is another issue icon_rolleyes.gif . I used BETTERcream so I'm afraid to put anything on it like saran wrap and I don't have a box tall enough to put them in. There's a pic of them in my photos, FYI.

Q: What do I do with them until tomorrow?

Q: Is it okay to keep them unwrapped?

Q: Do I store in the fridge or on the counter?

I'm afraid they'll dry out. Thanks!

18 replies
mcdonald Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:50am
post #2 of 19

If my icing doesn't crust, I put a toothpick in some of the cupcakes so that the syran can just lay on the sticks and not touch the cake.

Trixyinaz Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:10am
post #3 of 19

Thanks. Would you put them in the fridge or leave them out?

leily Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 10:52am
post #4 of 19

I am sure this is too late... but Bettercreme needs to be stored in the fridge as long as possible.

Trixyinaz Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 11:37am
post #5 of 19

Thanks, but actually Bettercream can be left out once whipped for up to 5 days. I'm worried my cuppies will dry out if not covered. It's a moot point now tho icon_lol.gif I tried everything to cover them and nothing worked. So I left them uncovered and on the counter and will bring to work this morning. Thanks!

leily Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:18am
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixyinaz

Thanks, but actually Bettercream can be left out once whipped for up to 5 days.

Good to know. I have nevever worked with the kind that I have to whip up. I have always worked with the pre-whipped kind and it is highly suggested to keep it refrigerated. That is interesting that the two have different storage directions.

Trixyinaz Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 19

Leily - that is odd. I wonder why?

Well, I got feedback on my cupcakes and as suspected, the cuppies were a little dry. I made them on Sunday at around noon. Decorated them around 4 and my friend didn't eat them until around 8 pm last night (Monday). All the while they were exposed to the air and not covered b/c I didn't have anything to cover them up with. icon_mad.gif I'll have to make something or use crusting buttercream next time so I can wrap them and keep them from drying out.

Malakin Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:06pm
post #8 of 19

I read somewhere that using simple syrup to coat the cupcakes before icing with BC keeps them from drying out. Just a suggestion. Also, I put my BC in the fridge if made with butter or milk, but leave out on counter if made with water and shortening only. Hope it helps.

Trixyinaz Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:13pm
post #9 of 19

Thanks! I will have to do a simple syrup coat next time. Do you have a recipe?

murf Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:16pm
post #10 of 19

Hi,
I was going to suggest a sugar syrup too as that's what I do for all my cakes if they need storage for more than a day or so. Basic recipe is to put 250g sugar with 250ml water in a pan and bring to the boil stirring to dissolve the sugar. Then remove from heat and cool. You can then flavour with things like grated peel of orange or lemon but don't put too much as it is very powerful!! (maybe 2 tsp or less)
HTH
Jenny

Trixyinaz Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:24pm
post #11 of 19

Thanks Jenny! I appreciate it! I remember reading that someone uses a spray bottle to apply the sugar syrup instead of a brush. I'm gonna try both. Thanks again!

Vicki

lecrn Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:37pm
post #12 of 19

I know that it's too late, but I have an idea that you may want to try for next time. The last time I had a large cc order, I bought a large, plastic storage box from Walmart. It's probably about 3 feet long & 5 inches deep. I lined it with paper towels before putting the cc in. The cc stayed nice & moist.

sillywabbitz Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:23pm
post #13 of 19

I know it may be an old question but do you put pudding or jello in your cake mix?
For my strawberry cake, I use strawberry jello and normally I don't have a problem with cupcake drying out.

But for me with cupcake bouquets. I try and bake ahead, decorate , put in box and assemble the day of if I can. I use mini-cupcake and I worry being so small they dry out.

Of course, only your true friends tell you if they've dried out or not. You could also just do a full layer of BC under the flower to help seal them as well.

Trixyinaz Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 7:46pm
post #14 of 19

Wow, thanks for all the tips. I might need to find a tall enough and wide enough plastic container to hold these bouquets in to "seal" in the freshness. I'm getting a ton of requests for them since yesterday....now whether they actually order them is another story....hehehehe

No, I don't put jello or pudding in the batter. For those cuppies, I used the WASC and used strawberry cake mix. I love baking from scratch but was in a hurry this past weekend.

sillywabbitz Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:02pm
post #15 of 19

Toss a small box of strawberry jello in with your WASC recipe and it should do the trick. I don't think the jello will do any harm to the WASC which is a favorite of mine as well.

My great grandmother's strawberry cake recipe is a White box cake mix, plus strawberry jello, plus fresh strawberries and I think 2 or 2 tablespoons of floor to counter act the water in the fresh strawberries.
My problem is the icing is a fresh strawberry buttercream (true buttercream meaning it uses butter) and because of the fresh strawberries it weeps and just won't hold up to decorator standards but it's that frosting that "makes" the cake. actually I have to make one this weekend for my dad's bday.
if you want the recipe PM me, I've never taken the time to load it up but it's the most popular cake with my friends and family ( I don't have a bakery)

Wesha Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:34am
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixyinaz

Wow, thanks for all the tips. I might need to find a tall enough and wide enough plastic container to hold these bouquets in to "seal" in the freshness. I'm getting a ton of requests for them since yesterday....now whether they actually order them is another story....hehehehe

No, I don't put jello or pudding in the batter. For those cuppies, I used the WASC and used strawberry cake mix. I love baking from scratch but was in a hurry this past weekend.

I am pretty new and baking and with the acronyms, but what does WASC stands for?

Benisha

Trixyinaz Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:02am
post #17 of 19

It's a cake recipe. It stands for White Almond Sour Cream. I got rave reviews yesterday at work when I brought it in. And, it was just the cake dome that I sliced off one of my cakes to make it level so they only ate the cake with no frosting. It was funny, you could see everyone melt the second they put it in their mouth, and then all the ooooh's and aaaah's followed. icon_lol.gif It's in the recipe section here on CC. Do a search for White Almond Sour Cream and it'll pop up. I actually use the original WASC by Kakeladi. I'm not sure if that one is on here or not. Someone doctored her recipe even more and is getting the same kind of results. That's the recipe that's on here and on recipezaar. Kakeladi posted her original recipe not too long ago in one of the threads. Just not sure which one, but if you do a search you should be able to find it. If you can't, let me know and I'll type it in here.

Good luck!

Trixyinaz Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:05am
post #18 of 19

Here is Kakeladie's Recipe:

Kakeladi's Original Wasc (White Almond Sour Cream) Cake Recipe

1 package betty crocker white cake mix
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
3 whole eggs (even for white cakes)
1 cup water
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon almonds, emulsion (stronger than flavoring)

In a bowl, mix 1st 3 ingredients. (see notes below) Set aside.
Place remaining ingredients in mixer bowl then add the dry.
Mix on low (I use a KA mixer) speed for 30 seconds, until dry ingredients are incorporated; mix at medium 2 minutes.
This makes 1 & 1/2 times the usual batter than a 'straight' cake mix. It will fill one of the following pans: 8" sq; 12" round; 9x13x2; OR one 10" and 6" round.
Pour into pan(s) and bake as you usually do. I prefere to bake at 300 degrees F. for 20 minutes, then turn oven up to 325 degrees F. for an equal time OR until you can smell cake If it has pulled away from the edges of the pan it is *over done*. You should have a flat cake that won't (usually) need leveling & is not sticky on the top when it cools.
Special NOTES:
That's right -- there is NO oil, butter or margarine in this recipe.
Use large eggs.
If almond extract (not emulsion) is used, add 2 teaspoons or to taste.
Can use ANY cake flavor
Flavorings can change depending on cake flavor you use. Try a combination of 1 part vanilla, 1/2 part butter flavoring and 1/4 part almond.
It is important to mix the dry ingredients well especially if using a chocolate mix or you will have white spots in the finished cake. I use a wire wisk.

Hope that helps!

Wesha Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 7:25pm
post #19 of 19

Thank you Vickie, I will have to try it real soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%