What Is Your Favorite Cake Filling Combo?

Baking By ladij153 Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 4:16am by ladij153

ladij153 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Everyone!

I have been trying out the new extracts I just got. I love the Mango and the Guava in the cake but have no idea what filling and frosting to use with exotic flavors.

I just recently made a pineapple cake with pina colada buttercream filling and coconut buttercream frosting. Everyone said it was my best cake yet!!

I would love some of your ideas if you all would be willing to share!

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and respond.

All my best

6 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 7

Where did you get the mango and guava extracts? Do they have passionfruit extract?

As far as filling, anything tropical would go well. Try kiwi. I recently saw a cake in a NY bakery which had mango filling with sliced strawberries.

For icing, you could use a cream cheese or Mary Kaye icing.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ladij153 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 7

playingwithsugar, I got them at lorannoils.com and I think they do have passionfruit.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a try! I'm running out of ideas. There are so many good recipes on CC but I can't determine which flavors would go well with others!

busymom9431 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 7

This may be a silly question but.......
ladyj153 how did you make the pina colada and coconut buttercream. Can you tell me how much flavoring you added?

Thanks so much my mouth is watering!

hwnhulahands Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 7

I'm trying to get ideas too.

playingwithsugar Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:37am
post #6 of 7

Are those flavor extracts or oils? I know the company makes both, but the oils seem to be the bigger seller for them.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ladij153 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:16am
post #7 of 7

No such thing as a silly question busymom9431!

I made Sugarshack's buttercream recipe and added a tbsp of coconut extract for the frosting then for the filling I drained a can of crushed pineapple very very well then added it and a 1/2 tsp of pineapple extract to about 2 cups of the coconut buttercream.

Thanks for asking!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%