Trans Fat In Shortening?

Business By littlecake Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 3:34pm by Carolynlovescake

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 5

I was just wondering if the government was forcing companies to take it out....or is it just their choice to do it?

I've been using a store brand for the well....almost 1year now....i used crisco for a couple weeks after they changed it...it was "ok"....but just not quite right.

I was at sams last week and decided to just get a few cans of crisco, cause I've been so busy...i was just trying to save some time...OMMGosh...what a mess!....i ended up with 35 pounds of gritty loose sloppy crap.....they must be messing with the formula again...it was WAY worse than before....I wanted to make sure it wasn't the sugar...so i ran to the store and bought the trusty off brand....used the same sugar...smooth as silk.

It was weird...that crisco was so jacked up...it even came staight thru my canvas bag...it was like i poured oil all over the outside.

I have a source locally for high ratio...but they got a 300.00 min. order...i guess i should just go ahead and start getting it there...i mean, i'll use it.

So what I'm wondering....are the off "store brands" gonna be forced to change too?....i feel like i wanna get some T shirts made that say.....

I "HEART" TRANS FAT!

4 replies
sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 5

Yes, I believe that the government has mandated that trans fat be removed from all cooking oils including the store brands.
Sweetex has become sweetex z and hymo z that are trans fat free but made specially for bakers that are used to using the the trans fat sweetex it's supposed to be just as good.

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 5

icon_surprised.gif Oh Gawd! They've changed Sweetex also??? icon_surprised.gif I am so glad I'm not making cakes for a living anymore!!! I hope the "new version" is just as good as the old because Sweetex saved my cakes after Crisco icon_evil.gif changed their formula!

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:04am
post #4 of 5

There's another thread on here that discusses how ACH will be taking out the trans fats in Sweetex. A member called them and ACH said they would be selling both versions, the original Sweetex, and the new trans fat free version "Sweetex Z". Hopefully...they will hold true to that. Not for sure if they will be doing that with Alpine as well.

Unfortunately, some governments are banning restuarants from selling anything with trans fats.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 5

The government has pretty much banned trans fat period.

It's either end 2008 or early 2009 that is must be removed from all foods.

I hope the people that passed that one have a birthday cake and their frosting slids off and lands on their one of a kind designer dress with matching shoes.

When they complain to the baker they are told "sorry it's due to the trans fat removal, we are doing our best to figure out how to fix our frosting. It's out of our control and no you don't get a refund!" icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%