Using Someone Else's Recipe

Business By CakesbyBecca Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 12:34pm by moreCakePlz

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 6

When selling baked goods, do you have to use your own recipes, or can you use someone else's? For example, if I want to sell cakes using the WASC recipe, am I legally allowed to do that, or do I have to get permission from the person who came up with the recipe? What about family recipes? My dh's aunt has a couple REALLY good recipes I would like to use, but I want to make sure everything is legal.
Thanks for your help with this.

Becca

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 6

You can use any recipe you like, you just can't publish it claiming it to be your original recipe. Unless you tell someone, or make a specific claim, no one can prove what recipe you may have used.

In California, it does have to be prepared in a licensed kitchen.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 6

You may use whatever recipes you wish and just an fyi I went to culinary school and they told us if you have changed just on thing in the recipe ie: used heavy cream instead of half and half the recipe is now yours. I have lots of recipes from my chefs and some i use as they are and others i have made my own. icon_biggrin.gif

hth

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:48am
post #4 of 6

A list of ingredients canât be copyrighted, so you can use / call your own / republish any recipe you like. What you canât republished are the literary directions/instructions associated with a recipe. The recipe directions can be copyrighted by the author, but the list of ingredients can not.

I have links to some legal sites which explain in great detail what can be copyrighted/trademarked and what can not. I will try and find them and post the links.

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:53am
post #5 of 6

Thank you icon_smile.gif
JoannB, I am unfortunately well aware of CA's laws icon_sad.gif . We just moved here from OR and I would love to be able to get my own kitchen licensed, but no such luck icon_sad.gif . I'm not good enough to sell yet anyway, but I'm working on it icon_smile.gif

Becca

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:34pm
post #6 of 6

Here is a link about recipes and copyrights:

http://www.recipezaar.com/help/view?iid=44

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%