Icing Questions

Decorating By kristykgs Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 8:04pm by trixe371

kristykgs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristykgs Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 4

Okay, this will probably be a very basic answer, but being new and trying to learn, please bare with my simple questions.... icon_lol.gif

Yesterday I made a cake for a party and used another icing besides the buttercream and of course since it's not a crusting frosting, I had problems smoothing it out to look professional.

Does anyone have any tips on smoothing frosting, such as cream cheese icing, whipped icing or anything other than crusting buttercream????

I'm assuming that not everyone I encounter is not going want buttercream and there are so many flavors out there that I want to try, but when I put them on my cakes, they look horrible.

Thanks for all your help
Kristy

3 replies
veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 4

I guess usually with those types of icings most people use the hot knife/spatula way of smoothing. Keep a container of hot water at hand and dip your smoothing knife/spatula in it and then spread the icing.

I know, that isn't a very clear explanation, maybe somebody else can do it better.

kristykgs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristykgs Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 10:37pm
post #3 of 4

I'll try that.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Kristy

trixe371 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixe371 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 4

icon_smile.gif did you add merangue powder to you cream cheese icing? I did and it crusted for me although that was not what i was attempting to do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%