Cracks In Crusting Buttercream

Decorating By srodts Updated 18 Jul 2008 , 12:57pm by KASCARLETT

srodts Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 14

Can anyone tell me why when I move a buttercream cake I get cracks in the frosting and how do I stop it or atleast how do I fix it.

TIA

13 replies
jammjenks Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 14

You may not have enough support in your base. I used to have this problem too, until I doubled or tripled my cardboards. Now for a standard 11X15, I use 2-3 13X19 cardboards underneath. Also, make sure you support the center when you carry it instead of carrying it by the sides only.

veejaytx Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 14

If your icing isn't too dry, then the cracks are most likely from shifting on a flexing cakeboard, like jammjenks said.

debster Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 14

Yep, I agree it's the boards. You have to double up on everything now a days the way things are made so cheaply. If it's not the boards I've heard on here to add a touch of white vinegar to the icing. Some say that works. Good luck.

vixterfsu Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 14

I use foam boards now. Yes, it takes time to cut
but worth the work.

debster Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:31am
post #6 of 14

What are foam boards and where do you get them? Cost? Thanks

sweettoothcakes Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 11:42am
post #7 of 14

So do you use multiple boards even in between your tiered cakes?? I have done a few wedding cakes recently and I am putting my bases on covered plywood but the second, third and fourth tiers just on card board and they are cracking. So do you use multiple board inbetween your tiers when stacking???

OH and when you add vinegar to your icing, doesn't that make it taste like vingegar????

vdrsolo Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:20pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothcakes

So do you use multiple boards even in between your tiered cakes?? I have done a few wedding cakes recently and I am putting my bases on covered plywood but the second, third and fourth tiers just on card board and they are cracking. So do you use multiple board inbetween your tiers when stacking???

OH and when you add vinegar to your icing, doesn't that make it taste like vingegar????

For those heavier tiers, you do need multiple boards. I use thin masonite (covered with foil), with one cardboard on top, but you can use multiple cardboards, foamcore...whatever.

Also you buttercream may need some more fat to it. It could be crusting too much.

srodts Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:53pm
post #9 of 14

Thank you so much all for your responce. I will try the foam board and see if it helps. About the tiered cakes how do you get your dowles through the masonite? I just looked at my shortning and it has 2g of transfat in it. Is that how much is good or do I need more. I just bought the alpine hi ratio shortning but have not used it yet, will that help or is 2g good? Sorry about all the questions but I am about ready to say all done with this hobby.
TIA

vdrsolo Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:12pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by srodts

Thank you so much all for your responce. I will try the foam board and see if it helps. About the tiered cakes how do you get your dowles through the masonite? I just looked at my shortning and it has 2g of transfat in it. Is that how much is good or do I need more. I just bought the alpine hi ratio shortning but have not used it yet, will that help or is 2g good? Sorry about all the questions but I am about ready to say all done with this hobby.
TIA

I only use Alpine or Sweetex, I have found it works and tastes so much better than Crisco or store brand shortenings.

I don't use dowels...so no need for me to go through the masonite. I use Bakery Craft SPS. No dowels to cut and no need to drive a center dowel through the middle.

sweettoothcakes Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:24pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks for all the suggestions and I will definitly use multiple boards. As far as my fat content of my icing. I use 1/2c butter and 1/2c of shortening for each lb of powdered sugar. Would that not be good enough?? I am using shortening with trans fat

Also have you found a store that carries Alpine or Sweetex?? or do you always have to order online?? If so where do you order from??

Thanks for all your help

vdrsolo Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:46pm
post #12 of 14

Your ratio is good, the 1 cup of fat per 1 lb of powdered sugar is a lightly crusting icing, it still gives you plenty of time to work with it but still allows you to viva it.

I buy my high ratio from www.thebakerskitchen.com

kdaze Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:47pm
post #13 of 14

Can anyone tell me how to use masonite on the sps? I thought you had to put small hole in the cardboard with the plates or did vdrsolo mean just under the bottom tier? TIA

KASCARLETT Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 12:57pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

What are foam boards and where do you get them? Cost? Thanks

Foam boards are found at my Hobby Lobby, but I'm sure you can find them at Michael's or any craft store. They aren't that expensive. They look like foam in between 2 poster boards, but they are very sturdy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%