Question About Mint

Decorating By lukiesmommy Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 2:03am by lukiesmommy

lukiesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lukiesmommy Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 7

I want to make mint flavored icing. I already have some icing made and didnt want to make a new batch. Can I just add some mint extract t it? Fortunatly this cake is for nothing special. Just we'll ME and my husband. LOL 'm going to try the pudding mix in my chocolate cake too. Do I just mix the cake like normal and just add the pudding mix to it? Nothing else right?

TIA

M

6 replies
Zahrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahrah Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 7

I don't bake with pudding, so I can't help you there. As for the icing - yes, just add the extract if there are no other flavors to the icing (vanilla is OK).

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 7

Yes, just add the mint extract. Remember, mint is stronger than vanilla, so don't use as much...add a little, taste it, and repeat until it's as minty as you would like.

I'm not sure about the pudding in the cake mix either. I've made recipes that had it before but they always had other things added too.

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:10am
post #4 of 7

i just made a mint buttrcream yesterday. I used a mix of mint and peppermint (it came mixed) pure extract. I used 1/2 tsp in about 5 cups of buttercream (I use toba garretts french vanilla - so it also had 1 TBLS of clear vanilla) and it was the perfect mintyness. I would start with 1/4 tsp then add 1/8 tsp at a time. Try it with a cake scrap instead of just the buttercream.

andromedaslove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andromedaslove Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:21am
post #5 of 7

I have a cake that I have been making for a few years now, that is a mint cake. I use a chocolate box cake and substitute a 1/4 cup of the water for 1/4 cup Creme De Menthe. Then I add about a tablespoon of Creme De Menthe to the buttercream along with a little bit of green food coloring to get the icing a mint green color. Then I take some Andes mints, chop them up, and sprinkle them around the top of cake. It is awesome.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:39am
post #6 of 7

Ooh, andromedaslove, that sounds really delicious!

As for the pudding, I've only tried adding it to a cake once and I put the mix into my dry ingredients. With that cake it worked well (it was from scratch). I believe when you add pudding to a mix (boxed or scratch) you just add the dry powder (pudding).

lukiesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lukiesmommy Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 2:03am
post #7 of 7

I did just add mint to the icing. It was good. I added the pudding mix to the cake batter. It took forever to bake, but it came out really moist and yummy. Im very impatient. I LOVE chocolate and mint!!

M

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%