Black Fondant, Black Teeth?

Decorating By LaurynBrook Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 4:47pm by LaurynBrook

LaurynBrook Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 21

I promised my bride that I would get this answer to her by the end of the day!

She wants her cake done in black fondant, but she is worried about the guest walking around with black teeth. My question is, for anyone who has used Satin Iceâs Black Vanilla, do you have that problem. Thatâs what I was going to order instead of making my own. Please help! I need answers as soon as possible, and I have no idea! Thanks!!! This is the cake she wants, only with black fondant and white writing/pearls.
LL

20 replies
leah_s Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 21

I've found it to be fine - no black teetrh. Black buttercream however, will turn your teeth, lips, tongue dark blue.

YAYI95 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 21

I used black satin ice on a cake this weekend and did not have the black teeth issue now I have used black butter cream in the past and my kids were walking around with black mouths!!!lol

LaurynBrook Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 21

I was going to use a white buttercream underneath so that shouldn't be a problem. How does the Black Vanilla fondant taste? I've never worked with Satin Ice before so is it really soft? How easy is it to work with? Has anyone had any problems with black teeth? I don't want to tell her it won't be a problem then have blacked teeth wedding photos.

Cakechick123 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 21

I dont know about the pre-coloured ones, but my black fondant normally tastes bitter.
A tip someone gave me once is to cover the cake in white and airbrush the dark colour on.

vdrsolo Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 21

Black Satin Ice is not bitter at all, I prefer to buy all of dark colors of fondant premade because it takes so much dye. When I do it myself, it does seem bitter.

And no, it doesn't stain teeth.

misha35 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:26pm
post #7 of 21

I love your cake design!!!!!!

fondantfrenzy Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:32pm
post #8 of 21

Well if you airbrush the cake in black you will definately have BLACK teeth. I made this cake and I cut it cuz the waitstuff were morons and my fingers were all black, Soooo you can imagine everyone elses teeth.
LL

LaurynBrook Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:42am
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by misha35

I love your cake design!!!!!!

Thanks! The bride brought it to me and I fell in love with it. At first she wanted it purple now she wants it black, but she's worried about the teeth thing. You guys have helped to put my mind at ease. I'm going to order some and let her try it and maybe take some home with her so she knows that it won't stain her teeth. If it has stained anyone's teeth, please let me know so I don't tell her it won't then her be mad at me on her wedding day!

LaurynBrook Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:44am
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by riana

I dont know about the pre-coloured ones, but my black fondant normally tastes bitter.
A tip someone gave me once is to cover the cake in white and airbrush the dark colour on.

That's why I'm buying pre colored fondant. Any black or red I've ever done, fondant or buttercream, tasted bitter and was not the color I wanted at all. I heard Satin Ice was good so I just decided to go with them. I'm pretty sure airbrushing would be the wrong way to go with a cake this large. I know we'd have some black teeth then. icon_smile.gif

pinklesley1 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:02am
post #11 of 21

I only use the pre made black, becuase of the teeth thing, and also it is a PAIN to make black.. and you always end up with purple hands..
so the Black vanilla tastes like... well vanilla.. I think that it is prettynice to work with... if you can get pettinice... they have black too... it is alot softer to work with, and will not give you pirate teeth... (black teeth).... i like your idea of giving some to the bride, that way you can put her mind at ease... but if you buy the premade stuff you should be ok... make sure to post your cake after... i would love to see it... cuz i love the concept....

gateaux Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:18am
post #12 of 21

I have only used MMF so I cannot speak to the taste of the black fondant. Although I have taste several different plain fondants in classes I have taken. It's always been suggested that you add flavoring. I have used lemonda, bubblegum, raspberry and champagne( great for weddings) and people eat up the fondant. So maybe you could do that.

I use LorAnn Oils a little goes a long way.

https://www.lorannoils.com/

Good Luck.

LaurynBrook Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:25am
post #13 of 21

For those of you who use Satin Ice, how much will I need to order to cover that cake? It will be 3 tiers, 16,12, and 8. If I have fondant left over, what is the best way to keep it so it doesn't get hard so I can use it again on another cake, and how long can I keep it before it HAS to be used?

babyqueen Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:35am
post #14 of 21

It can last for 3 months, esp if you leave it in the container, not just a ziploc bag. I would say you need 10lbs but I could be wrong.

CuteCakeName Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:48am
post #15 of 21

I like Earlene's fondant chart, because she tells you how much you need to cover the cakes AND how much you need to work with. Go to http://www.earlenescakes.com/Fondantchart.html
Hope that helps!

Heather

LaurynBrook Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:42pm
post #16 of 21

Thanks so much, that chart helps a lot. According to that I need 15 lbs to work with. Where is the cheapest place to get Satin Ice, and should I charge the bride more for that instead the original plan of me making my own fondant?

SweetResults Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:58pm
post #17 of 21

Think about how fondant in a cake like that will actually land on someone's plate - just the outside pieces, not really that much in the grand scheme of things.

I suggest getting chocolate fondant and adding a touch of black color then airbrushing lightly. It will taste great, not stain the teeth, I have found the taste of black Satin Ice slightly different, also it was a little soft for me. But if you do go with it, it's a much better choice than trying to color it yourself.

I airbrushed a giant duffel bag navy blue and no one ended up with blue teeth.

And yes, if your cost is more you may want to add it to your price, however, your cost will be more, but your time will be less, maybe it will even out?

Good luck!

karensjustdessert Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:14pm
post #18 of 21

I love the black Satin Ice! The best price I found recently was through www.fondantsource.com; I read last week here on CC that they have a 10% discount for CC members as well (coupon code: Cake Central, I think).
I paid a little over 50 for 15 lbs. of fondant and shipping.

lutie Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:15pm
post #19 of 21

This past week-end, one of the graduation party cakes I made... school colors were red and black... was with black (homemade) fondant and no one had black teeth, but a few who ate the red decorations had a red tongue. It was Michele Foster's Fondant Recipe and it took one complete container of black gel icing color to color the fondant the deep black for which I was striving for the decorations. (After the fact, I read on one of the forums here @ CC that you should start out with cocoa first, as it is easier to go to black from brown than from white... duh! how bright was I?)
Anyway, I used Creme Bouquet in my fondant and it was very good (as good as fondant gets).

christeena Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:45pm
post #20 of 21

Be sure to try into the oven.com for fondant prices. I HATE it when people want black anything! UGG! I have a pink and black birthday cake this weekend and I'm going to start with chocolate buttercream and add black gel. If it's just a little bit of black, I will use the Wilton tube at Michael's with a 50% off coupon.

LaurynBrook Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:47pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by karensjustdessert

I love the black Satin Ice! The best price I found recently was through www.; I read last week here on CC that they have a 10% discount for CC members as well (coupon code: Cake Central, I think).
I paid a little over 50 for 15 lbs. of fondant and shipping.

I noticed it would be cheaper to buy the 20 lbs tub than 3 of the 5 lbs ones, but I don't see a 20 lbs in black.... do they make it in 20 lbs?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%