Cake Questions

Decorating By mvdd Updated 1 Jun 2008 , 10:58pm by iamlis

mvdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvdd Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 6

I need to make my niece first year cake. Her birthday is on Father's day. I'm planning to bake the cake on Saturday and decorate it on Sunday. Do I need to store the cake in the fridge or can I leave it outside? I'll make an orange cake. Here is the recipe:

INGREDIENTS
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 (3 ounce) package instant lemon pudding mix
3/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1/3 cup orange juice
2/3 cup white sugar
1/4 cup butter

DIRECTIONS
Grease a 10 inch Bundt pan. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
In a large bowl, stir together cake mix and pudding mix. Make a well in the center and pour in 3/4 cup orange juice, oil, eggs and lemon extract. Beat on low speed until blended. Scrape bowl, and beat 4 minutes on medium speed. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
In a saucepan over medium heat, cook 1/3 cup orange juice, sugar and butter for two minutes. Drizzle over cake.

I bought some creme bouquet. Should I use it for the frosting? I'll make a buttercream frosting. If you have a VERY good buttercream recipe please let me know. I prefer a frosting with a light sweet flavor.

Thanks!
Migvia

5 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 6

I don't think you should have to refrig your cake.

There are lots of icing recipes here under the recipe section. I have tried several and they all work well, that I have tried, depending on what I needed them for.

lukiesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lukiesmommy Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 6

I dont refrigerate mine. I bake the night before let them cool then cover them.

Icing
2 cups crisco
2lbs powdered sugar
1/2 cup water
1tsp clear vanilla
1/2 tsp clear butter flavoring.

Its yummy and EASY!

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 6

You do realize that the cake you have the recipe for (I have baked this numerous times in my life and love it!) the last 3 ingredients are for a glaze...the butter, OJ and sugar. It doesn't need frosting as the cake is glazed. Maybe I am just reading you wrong though icon_smile.gif Best of luck!

mvdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvdd Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 6

Iamlis:

You are right. The last ingredients are for the icing. I usually do it like that but because we want this recipe for the birthday we will omit this icing and use a buttercream to decorate it with a Little mermaid's theme.

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 6

VERY CUTE! I bet she'll just LOVE IT! Try an Italian Meringue Butter Cream! Light and buttery!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%