1St Cookie Order. Help!

Baking By mommy2djb Updated 11 Jun 2008 , 1:50am by cvigil

mommy2djb Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 12

I was originally contacted about doing cupcakes for a baby shower. Now they've decided they want cookies instead, and I don't have a lot of experience with cookies!

Can someone point me in the right direction? I'm not sure about consistencies for decorating cookies so they can be stacked, etc. What type of glazes/frostings work best? Any help would be awesome!! (My order is for 4 dozen.)

Thanks!!

11 replies
bonniebakes Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 12

I'd suggest you start with the cookie article here on this website. It's really great!

GeminiRJ Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 12

You'll get a lot of different opinions on the best glace or icing to use. I use a variation of Toba's Glace and really like it. One of these days I'm going to try MMF, though I tend to stick with the tried-and-true! A lot of people here really like Antonia's. As bonniebakes suggested, check the cookie article and maybe it will help you decide the direction you wish to take.

Ro40 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:36am
post #4 of 12

Find a sugar cookie recipe that you like. I know most people on this site prefer the No Fail Sugar Cookie recipe that you can find in the recipe section. I would then search for the antonia74 royal icing recipe. I find that it is a really good royal icing recipe and is very easy to make. Another thing to do is get ideas from all the pictures posted here and duplicate it. Hope that helps.

cvigil Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 12

Have you found a design? I usually figure out what kind of a design I want to do first. (Trace around your cookie cutter and draw what you want) After that, I use the best icing for that design. Toba's Glace has a really nice flavor but if you want to do any detailed work, you may want to detail with royal or some hardening buttercream. Hope this helps.

Miss-Jenni Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:53am
post #6 of 12

cvigil - is there a buttercream icing that hardens??? If so, where can i find the recipe??

cvigil Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 12

This is the recipe I use.

http://www.karenscookies.net/shop/recipes/info_11.html#recipe09

There are a lot of really good recipes and tips on this site.

southerncake Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 7:31pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvigil

This is the recipe I use.

http://www.karenscookies.net/shop/recipes/info_11.html#recipe09

There are a lot of really good recipes and tips on this site.

This website is great! Thank you so much for posting it!

Miss-Jenni Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 10:48pm
post #9 of 12

I will try the meringue buttercream. Does it get hard??

cvigil Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 11:10pm
post #10 of 12

It gets just as hard as royal only it tastes just like buttercream.

Miss-Jenni Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:41am
post #11 of 12

One more question. Can you accent with this icing once you have covered the cookie or do you have to use Royal?

cvigil Posted 11 Jun 2008 , 1:50am
post #12 of 12

It is very easy to work with and small details hold up beautifully. I need to start taking more pics of my work to show examples. It can be thinned for smaller tips. Just adjust drying time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%