How Far Inadvance Can I Make Sugar Cookies?

Baking By shell62995 Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 5:05pm by deetmar

shell62995 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 12

I know someone knows in this group of great people! I'm making sugar cookies decorated w/icing. How long can I store them and how? Thanks!

11 replies
raquel1 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 12

Sorry icon_redface.gif I don't have an answer, I'm in the same boat so I want to keep an eye to responses you get...

southerncake Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 12

I typically can keep them several weeks and they are fine (I use the NFSC recipe and Antonia's icing). I've never tried it myself, of my boys ate a cookie favor that I did for a shower and my sister had saved for about two months and he said it was delicious!

Lisa93063 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 12

At Christmas time, I usually make them 2 weeks ahead of time and store them in a big tin pretzel can lined with aluminum foil.

shell62995 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 12

wow thanks! so i can get started on some needed for the 11th!

marlinabeth Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 12

do u think they would keep better if they were wrapped for favors?

deetmar Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:12pm
post #7 of 12

I have frozen my sugar cookies decorated for a baby shower for three weeks, and was told they were great.

Someone here told me that it was okay to freeze them.

marlinabeth Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:08am
post #8 of 12

thanks! i'll try it!

mgigglin Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 6:32am
post #9 of 12

Hi there!

I make NFSC with Antonia RI and they are wonderful! You can bake and decorate them, freeze them, I have for up to 3 weeks, take them out thaw them and viola! perfect soft sugar cookie! If you make them and freeze them make sure your icing is completely dry(wait 24 hrs) before packing them in a tupperware freezer safe type container layering them with wax paper inbetween each layer. To thaw just leave them in the container and leave them on the counter for an afternoon. That way the condensation goes to the wax paper. Good luck!!

deetmar Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:05pm
post #10 of 12

mgigglin is the one that suggested it to me, I tried it, and loved it. I was making sugar cookies with RI for my daughter-in-law, who was having a shower while I was in New York having surgery. She said that they were perfect.

Thanks for the suggestion.

cakegal Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 12:45am
post #11 of 12

I was wondering about this also.
I'm afraid to freeze them. I guess the thing that worries me the most is thawing them out. Do you leave them in the container with the lid on?? or what?

deetmar Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:05pm
post #12 of 12

I wasn't there when she thawed them out. I just told her to take them out the morning of the shower. She said they were fine.

I did wait 24 hours after the dried and put wax paper between the layers. I have also done some orders the same way and took the cookies out of the freezer the morning they came to pick them up.

So far no complaints.

Quote by @%username% on %date%