Pasta Roller

Decorating By orchidcakes Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 3:54am by leah_s

orchidcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
orchidcakes Posted 31 May 2008 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 12

I purchased a Kitchenaid pasta roller to make the gumpaste flowers we learned in class. I am having a terrible time rolling the dough, I was hoping for some tips. When I put the gumpaste through, it does not come out cleanly. The gumpaste seems likes it is sticking and comes out ruffled. I have tried setting the machine on 1 though 6, although it comes out better on the thicker setting, it still does not come out cleanly. I am using Wilton packaged gumpaste and it seems to stick to the roller. Should I put cornstarch or Crisco on the rollers?
Please help.

11 replies
becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 31 May 2008 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 12

I usually flatten a piece with my hand before putting it in the roller. Do you have a cornstarch bag? If not you can make one with one of those reusable handi-wipe cloths. Just cut into a square and put some cornstarch in the middle, then tie it with a twist tie. Dust the fondant/gumpaste with the cornstarch before you put it in the roller. This should prevent it from sticking. Good luck!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 31 May 2008 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 12

I am thinking of buying a Pasta Roller, so I am interested in hearing more about them & also tips & hints on using it.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 12

I have the same problem at times. I find that little pieces of fondant stick to the underside of the roller, causing this problem to get worse with each subsequent roll. I clean the underside often and keep the rollers greased with crisco. The cornstarch also helps a lot to avoid this problem, as becklyn mentioned. Also, the stiffer my gumpaste is, the smoother it rolls through.

orchidcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
orchidcakes Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to try and clean the roller thoroughly and try again. Does anyone ever use a damp towel to clean off the rollers?
I find trying to scrap the dried gumpaste off with a toothpick very teadeous/
Can't wait to get rolling!*&%

alanahodgson Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 12

Yes, I use a damp cloth to wipe the gumpaste off.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 9:08pm
post #7 of 12

I don't have the KA pasta roller, I have one of the old hand-crank ones. I bought it years ago, when I thought it was just for making noodles icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

So when I heard about using it for fondant or gumpaste, I was excited. I tried it twice, and that was enough for me. No matter how much cornstarch I used, it still stuck everywhere. You're not supposed to get the thing wet, but I had to in order to get it all out, because I thought I had cleaned it well enough after my first use, but when I tried the second time, the colors I had used the first time all showed up in my white fondant.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 9:35pm
post #8 of 12

hmmm . . .I use my pasta roller for fondant practically very weekend. I suspect your fondant needs to be drier.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 10:21pm
post #9 of 12

What kind do you have Leah?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 10:48pm
post #10 of 12

i got my through rosemary watson some years back, took her classes on the lace molds she sold..... it is an electric imperia...... you keep it clean by damping a cloth..... put the machine on #1.... hold the rag underneath the rollers.... then use a dry part of the cloth..... pasta machine still on #1 ..... cloth under the roller, dry the rollers.... then put a little crisco on another part of the cloth.... and grease it up a little.... your gumpaste or fondant can,t be too wet feeling when you go to put it through..... roll out a small price sorta square.... dust a little cornstarch on both sides.... just a little.... run it through on #1.... then #3..... then # 5 or 6. this is the way rosemary taught us to use the pasta machine.... i have always loved using it .... but you do have to keep it clean.... i usually clean it after i am through with it.... sometimes you have to while you are working with it....hth

alanahodgson Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:35am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

you keep it clean by damping a cloth..... put the machine on #1.... hold the rag underneath the rollers.... then use a dry part of the cloth..... pasta machine still on #1 ..... cloth under the roller, dry the rollers.... then put a little crisco on another part of the cloth.... and grease it up a little....

that's exactly what I do. I clean it between each color I'm using, after each use, or if I notice any of that ruffling.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:54am
post #12 of 12

Mine is just the hand crank model that you can find at any kitchenwares store. I can't think of the name off the top of my head, but I've literally seen it in every kitchen store I've been in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%