Torting And Filling?

Decorating By prettycakes Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 5:46am by cakekrayzie

prettycakes Posted 31 May 2008 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 5

Okay, so I just received my instructional videos from Sharon Zambito and am in love. I just have one question. In the butter cream video she only has 2 layers of cake and one layer of filling. Is this how she does all of her cakes or was this only for the purpose of the video? I normally have 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling. I am sure this method will work for me, I am just wondering if anyone else out there only levels there 2 layer cake and just fills between that, and why they prefer it that way?

4 replies
costumeczar Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 5

I do it both ways, depending on what the customer wants. Some combinations are simple so I do two layers with a layer of flavored buttercream. If I torte the cakes I usually do two layers of a preserve or a fruit curd and a layer of buttercream or truffle. Sometimes I get people who don't want any filling at all, and I have to explain that I use two 2" tall pans and I put a layer of butterecream between them.

Some people around here bake in 3" tall pans and don't do any kind of filling. There's no right or wrong way, really.

prettycakes Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:22am
post #3 of 5

I am really lucky around here then. I introduce my customers to a whole new world of cakes. Most of my customers really don't have much experience with cakes, other than bettey crocker and duncan hines maybe Wal-mart. I don't think many home bakers take the time to torte and fill their cakes. I know before I started cake decorating and researching techniques I only baked my cakes and put filling in between what came out of the pan. No leveling or anything. Every book I have read always tortes and fills. At times I feel very inexperienced. There are no schools or bakery's close by that I can even ask questions or take a class.

I have to say that Sharon's dvd's are great if anyone else has no one to mentor them close by. I have learned a lot from her. Many of my questions have been answered. I am hoping to bring my decorating skills up to the next level now.

vdrsolo Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:35am
post #4 of 5

I really think it's a matter of personal preference. I used to only do 2 layers with one layer of filling. I do mostly wedding cakes and wanted to set myself apart from others. So I started torting all of my cakes to have 3 layers of filling. I also find it to be more stable for me because I use alot of the sleeved fruit fillings and I prefer to do 3 thinner layers as opposed to one thick layer. Those fillings can get really slippy. Sometimes I also do different types of fillings in one cake, brides love that option.

One thing that I had to have when I started Agbay leveler, I love it!!

cakekrayzie Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:46am
post #5 of 5

it depends for my sheet cakes i offer one layer of filling, the customer can have up to three but after the first one its extra. my wedding cakes are always three layers of filling four layers of cake. although my birthday cake always has three layers of chocolate whipped cream filling icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%