My Turn! First Cake-Tastrophy

Decorating By Zahrah Updated 31 May 2008 , 6:00pm by yaadie

Zahrah Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 8

It's a numbers game....just a matter of time before it happens to you. Today, my number was up!

Did a pregnant belly cake, on my way to deliver (about 45 minute drive) and end up slamming on brakes and narrowly avoiding a traffic incident in front of me. The belly, carved 8" rounds, and bust were atop a sheet cake and properly doweled. The belly, however, went sliding to one side, toppling over the sheet cake on that side. It was unsalvageable. So the sheet cake on the other side of the belly had to be trimmed away too. Huge void. What to do? I zip into my parents-in-law's house, very near by. Call the recipient, explain the 'minor' mishap, run to the store. There is a single pink rose at the bust of the dress, so I start making pink fondant roses and fill in the sides. Too much pink, so I scrape off the remaining pink border, mix up some teal icing and lay a quick new shell border in teal. I then fill in the gaps with teal icing stars. Ick!! Three of my least favorite designs - shell border, roses and stars!

Client was nice enough to come pick up the cake, buying me some valuable extra time and said you couldn't tell that the cake wasn't suppose to be like that! She was quite gracious about it! WHEW!!!!

7 replies
veejaytx Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 8

Great salvage/repair job! Frustrating for you, but it definitely turned out well.

ladyonzlake Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 8

Good save and quick thinking! It still looks awsome!

CakeDiane Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 8

Nice save! Way to think on your feet! The cake looks great!

Kandy4283 Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 8

this still looks awesome! Looks as it should!! Very cute! Good Job!

lukiesmommy Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 8

VERY pretty!! Before and after! I dont think I could have saved it. AWESOME!!

michellenj Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:51pm
post #7 of 8

They both look awesome. Great job.

yaadie Posted 31 May 2008 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 8

I so want to do a belly cake!! the look like fun...your's is quite nice and you did a great job 'fixing' whatever needed to be fixed...we are our worst critics

Quote by @%username% on %date%