What To Do, I Decorate, They Bake? Help!

Business By gr8yf Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 1:29am by gr8yf

gr8yf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8yf Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 10

I need help with pricing a cake that was baked and base frosted by an aquaintance. She wants a western look on a 1 layer 12" round. If I did everything I would charge $30.

9 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 10

then I'd charge $20.00 the bulk of the cost is for your talent......anyone can bake and ice a cake, it's the talent that gives it the LOOK they're after!

gr8yf Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 10

Thank you so much that is what I was thinking. At first I thought I was invited, then I would have done it as my gift, but I'm not so I have to take off my friend hat and put on the buisness one.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 10

If you are putting on your "business hat" then I wouldn't decorate any cake I didn't also bake. Way too many liability issues there.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 10

I would NEVER decorate a cake I didn't bake....especially if I'm charging and not invited. If it tastes bad or is harmful in some way, who will know it wasn't your fault?

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 10

I definately would not decorate a cake I didn't bake.. Liability... the taste...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 10

Jumping on the band wagon on this one. If I don't bake it, then I don't touch it. Reputation protection and liability issues are involved.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 10

Been there, done that and never again. If the guests know you decorated it they take for granted you baked it, if it's poor quality it is blamed on you. I had an issue with a client that brought me a very uneven poor quality cake and blamed my decorating skills when it wasn't perfect in the end.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 9:47pm
post #9 of 10

It's probably a violatin of your local health code to work on someone else's food anyway. There is no reason, at all, that you should agree to do this.

gr8yf Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:29am
post #10 of 10

This is why you guys are so great, I rent space and don't think out every scenario. Your experiance is invaluable. Thanks, I don't need trouble.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%