How Do I Make A Quilted Pattern On Fondant Without A Tool?

Decorating By bakeyclacker Updated 1 Jun 2008 , 6:17pm by indydebi

bakeyclacker Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 10

Hey there! I'm trying to do a wedding cake with the quilted pattern embossed on the sides and top, and don't have a tool to do it with. A fellow decorator suggested using a comb to make the stitching pattern, but really I'd like solid lines. I've thought of a bbq skewer, but am afraid that it would lack the puffiness of the design. Has anyone done this, or do you have any ideas at all? All ideas are welcome! please help! icon_confused.gif

9 replies
flamingobaker Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 10

I use a thin wooden BBQ skewer. I didn't realize there was a special tool to do the quilted look (although I should've figured there was!) I have to go over the lines more than once sometimes to get it puffy enough, but overall I think it works fine.

BakingGirl Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 10

You can also use one of those right angle triangle rulers. You can get one dirt cheap in a set for kids. Benefit of using the triangle is that you can keep one angle flat on the board under the cake so the angle of the lines are all the same.

BrandisBaked Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 10

I used a ruler and a knitting needle.

Knitting needles are my favorite tools of all time for cake decorating. icon_smile.gif

CountryCakes2007 Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 10

Hey BrandisBaked do you make the lines on the fondant before or after you put it on the cake? Kind of a stupid question huh! I haven't done this before and have a grooms cake to do in 2 weeks. It is suppose to look like a harley leather seat.

BrandisBaked Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 10

I do it after - otherwise they'd be distorted.

bakeyclacker Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:01pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks so much everyone!! I'm going to give them a try and see which one works best for this particular cake. For the Harley cake, that tip that my friend gave me about a comb imprint would look great along the main seams, since in reality a Harley seat is stitched (if it helps). For my quilt pattern, I also thought of using parchment paper and then imprinting over it with a knife (so it gives a much duller indent) I think that I'll try the bbq skewer and knitting needle first. Thanks again everyone!

BrandisBaked Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:27pm
post #8 of 10

On the pillow cake that I have in my gallery, I placed plastic wrap over the fondant while making the impressions so that they were not sharp lines. I think it looks much more realistic.

CountryCakes2007 Posted 31 May 2008 , 6:30pm
post #9 of 10

Thank ya'll so much!! Can't wait to practice. I'll post the pics of the finished cake!

indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 6:17pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasross

I use a thin wooden BBQ skewer. I didn't realize there was a special tool to do the quilted look (although I should've figured there was!) I have to go over the lines more than once sometimes to get it puffy enough, but overall I think it works fine.

Me, too. HEre's a pic of a cake I did a couple of weeks ago using this method.

http:[email protected]/2523486748/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%