Wires And Balls

Decorating By Danielle1218 Updated 1 Jun 2008 , 6:38pm by lalalady

Danielle1218 Posted 31 May 2008 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 2

I see alot of cakes on here (especially wedding cakes) that have a top that looks like it is made out of curly wires with balls on them. THe wire looks really thin and the balls look like they are made out of fondant for gumpaste. Does anyone know how to do this????? What gage wire is used??? Are the wires put in the cake at the very last minute? Do you put the wire through the fondant or gumpaste ball beforehand and let it dry?? I see a lot of Duff's cakes on Ace of Cake have this on them and it looks really cool. I hope someone can send me instructions on how to do this.

Thanks for you help icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

1 reply
lalalady Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 2

Hello there, I make mine on coloured wires to compliment the cake 24or 26 guage. Make your gumpaste balls and thread onto the wires, run your nail along the wire to create the droop . You can cut the wires to different lengths if you wish to. You must put the wires into a posy pick or a ball of gumpaste. They should never go directly into the cake. If you use a posy pick fill it with gumpaste so that you have something to stick the wires into. You must put the posy pick into a freshly fondant covered cake to ensure the fondant does not crack when the posy pick is inserted. Hope this helps.

Sue icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%