Global Sugar Art Shipping

Decorating By courtney1009 Updated 10 Jun 2008 , 10:34pm by AlanT

courtney1009 Posted 31 May 2008 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 19

Okay so I hope I"m not saying anything that offends anyone, but I was so excited to see a small bottle of creme bouquet on the GSA website. I have been wanting to try it and at under $3 I was going to order it...... then I filled in all my information only to find out that shipping was over $9!!!!!! Now I realize that shipping costs are high but seriously over $9 to ship a 2 oz bottle!!!! That's ridiculous. If CC has a relationship with them then why don't we get some sort of deal to make it worth buying from them rather than anyone else. Sorry I'm just venting. I do think Global Sugar Art has a great array of products, but I just think there should be some type of deal.

18 replies
veejaytx Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 19

Maybe you should either post this in the GSA forum, or even send a PM to Art because this doesn't sound right.

I just got an order from them a week or so ago, it was 5# Satin Ice, a pound of gumpaste and a bottle of tylose, and shipping was a little over $12 for that heavy stuff (still made the price good with their sale.)

Heath Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 19

You ARE getting a deal when you shop at Global Sugar Art. The deal is that they give a percentage of your order to Cakecentral to keep the website free so that we don't have to charge membership fees and can keep the community open to all.

On top of that contribution to Cake Central, they run specials every month on various products.

Regarding shipping and the internet... if you ever get a shipping quote that seems "off", call the vendor and ask about it. Sometimes websites miscalculate shipping, it used to happen with the CC shop on occasion.

peg818 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:18am
post #4 of 19

you will find with any site that bases shipping on the cost of an item that the more you order the more reasonable the shipping is.

I have never felt that global has over charged me on shipping, but then again i never order just one $3 item.

punkiin Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:29am
post #5 of 19

I felt the same way when I looked at ordering some small items. Unless you have a big order it's not worth paying that much shipping. You might want to check I ordered some small bottles from them and the shipping was more acceptable on orders like that.

bambuf Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:35am
post #6 of 19

I was suffering from shipping sticker shock this weekend as I was shopping around for some cake boxes. I realize, though, that shipping costs are rising, and I would much rather pay the shipping and handling charges to have something delivered to my door, then to have to drive to several different places to get the few things that I need. Besides, even with shipping costs (which nearly doubled my cost) I still got a better deal on my cake boxes than I would have buying anywhere local. (This was not a GSA purchase, btw.)

As far as GSA is concerned, though, I have had nothing but great customer service and reasonable shipping with them!

courtney1009 Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:46pm
post #7 of 19

Like I said. I have nothing against Global Sugar Art and I am planning on ordering from them in the near future. They have some wonderful products. I just feel like $9 for a order under $3 was a bit much.

AlanT Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 10:19pm
post #8 of 19

This is a great topic for a forum. Let me explain our shipping costs. We ship via UPS and they charge for a minimum of one pound of weight even if you only order a 2 ounce Wilton decorating tip. Moreover, if you live outside a major city, UPS charges an additional $2.90 for rural delivery. You can see how quickly shipping can become expensive for a small or lightweight order.

We used to have a shipping option that would allow us to ship via Priority Mail if it was less than UPS. We would charge your credit card only after we packed and weighted the order and choose the least expensive option. However, with the addition of PayPal to the site, we had to eliminate that option because we could not charge the actual shipping once the order was placed.

In order to address this issue, we are going to integrate USPS Priority Mail with our website this summer. This will allow for a live-time shipping quote so customers can compare it to UPS and choose whichever they prefer. The downside to Priority Mail is that the delivery is not guaranteed and we have seen orders take 10-12 days during the holiday season.

In the meantime, if you place a small order and want cheaper shipping, please call us or place a not in the "comments" field when placing your order that you would like Priority Mail. This is only cheaper if the order is less than 1-2 pounds.

Lastly, please remember that processing an order, packing, labeling and shipping are all expensive and time consuming. Many companies have a minimum shipping cost or a minimum purchase to reduce very small orders. We do not have minimums.

If you have any further questions regarding shipping, please feel free to post a reply or PM me. Alan

Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 10:23pm
post #9 of 19

Thankyou Alan for explaining the details..It does help to understand!! I/we all appreciate the time and effort you take to address our concerns!! Once I get a full list of what I want I will be ordering!! Oh says I can't use Paypal if I live outside the USA...Can you tell me why or if I can do it anyway!!!

courtney1009 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 11:40am
post #10 of 19

Wow Thanks for explaining it! I don't know too many people who would take the time to address a complaint in detail like that. Most people would just say "too bad". Thank you so much for explaining it. I understand much better now. I really appreciate you addressing my complaint. Having never ordered from Global Sugar Art before I was a little taken back by the cost, but now I'm going to be ordering all of my future products from you. Thank you so much for all of your help.

Mandica12182 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:00pm
post #11 of 19

I just love lvoe love Global Sugar art!! LOL

I ordered from them monday and it shipped Tuesday!! Love it!!

They are always extremely helpful, as this post proves!! I will not shop anywhere else...well, unless it's something that GSA doesn't carry!!

Nothing but love here for GSA!

Dee1219 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:03pm
post #12 of 19

I must say I am totally impressed with Global Sugar Art for their professional response, heck a response at all! They have just earned my business for sure! I am so impressed! Now that is customer service with a smile!! Nice job Global Sugar Art!!! Nice

AlanT Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:40pm
post #13 of 19

KiddieKakes- We do accept paypal for all orders. However, we made PayPal unavailable on the website for international orders. When an international order is placed, we pack, weigh and measure the box and email the customer a shipping quotes. Only when they accept the quote do we charge their credit card or request payment. If you want to place an order, choose "phone order" in the Payment options and place a note in the comment field requesting a PayPal invoice. Once you accept the shipping charge, I will email you a PayPal invoice.

It is a little complicated but we we want to make sure you are comfortable with the shipping costs before you pay.

all4cake Posted 8 Jun 2008 , 1:34am
post #14 of 19

I gotta give GSA all the props...

Smokes!! I placed an order Friday. Cleaned house(I'm lyin'...I laid around eatin' bonbons). Came back to the puter. I'll be daggumed if they didn't already process my order and have it on its' way! God Bless America! That was FAAAAAAAAAAAAAST.

Oh, yeah....let me say for the record...out loud and in public...(Alan and the wonderful employees there at GSA)...I'm sorry and thank you muchly for putting up with my Monday self. I will try, from now on, to not order until Tuesday or at least until after I've completely awakened on Monday!

Thanks a bunch!

Candee Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 4:26am
post #15 of 19

I've had great luck with GSA too and great customer service. I'm glad you are making the option for going with USPS-I've had fast service with them and it's easier to speak to a live person at USPS than UPS if there's a problem with the package etc.

CakeDiva73 Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 6:05am
post #16 of 19

GSA s/h is only 'high' if you are ordering one or two items. I had a huge order of over 20 lbs. and it was placed at 10 a.m. and shipped by noon..........the SAME day! It was incredible. And they only charged $22 - which was soooo much cheaper then any other website I have found.

I will shop exclusively there due to their excellent prices, fast-affordable shipping and excellent customer service. icon_smile.gif

The only thing that is a bummer is they don't carry any Magic Line pans!

all4cake Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 1:46pm
post #17 of 19

Placing an order on Friday and receiving it 3 days later on Monday is well worth the shipping costs! I've paid more on shipping and handling at other suppliers and have had to wait more than 2 weeks for my order.

I agree with CakeDiva73 about the ML pans.

sweetjane Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 2:12pm
post #18 of 19

Hi, my name is Jane - I'm a GSA junkie. For years now I have searched for a supplier, spent way too much money and waited half my life to receive my "stuff". Now that I found Global, Alan & his staff has helped me to control my addiction with access to everything and shipping orders in record time.
Thankyou Global Sugar Arts.... icon_rolleyes.gif

AlanT Posted 10 Jun 2008 , 10:34pm
post #19 of 19

You are all TOO FUNNY! I love reading these posts from this wild bunch or decorators. Seriously, thank you all for the wonderful comments. It is a pleasure serving this community. My staff loves reading your comments and they all take the shipping business very seriously.

Quote by @%username% on %date%