Please Help With Ri Problem

Baking By Peeverly Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 12:23am by Peeverly

Peeverly Posted 31 May 2008 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 13

I am having a problem with my RI. When I have leftovers I leave it stored on the counter in a tupperware for a few days (maybe a week or so). When I am going to use it I put it back into my mixture and rewhip it because it has separated. The problem is that when I use it it never really hardens right. It becomes crumbly. The piping will break off and the flooded part can be dented. This has happened before to me. What am I doing wrong. Did I get a bad batch of merengue powder?? Please any ideas.

12 replies
bakinccc Posted 31 May 2008 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 13

I'm not an expert by any means, but I've dealt with that in the past too, especially if it's a darker color. To fix it I now refrigerate any leftover icing and the problem is completely gone. I also don't like the idea of it just sitting out at room temp even though people say you can do that. That's just me though. Hope that helps.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 31 May 2008 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks for that - asking the question, Peeverly - and the answer, bakinccc. I had the same problem myself. I thought it might have been the brand of powdered RI I bought.

Peeverly Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:20am
post #4 of 13

Thanks bakinccc. I'll try putting it in the fridge. I hate to throw out leftovers so if this does the trick then that would be great.

playingwithsugar Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:41am
post #5 of 13

No, sorry, but such is the nature of that particular beast.

Royal Icing can be used on subsequent days, after re-beating, but it is never, ever like it is the first day.

My suggestions - only make the amount you need, or put the leftover RI aside and use it to make decorated cookies.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:49am
post #6 of 13

Oh, if I had only known that before my TD would have saved me soooooo much time! icon_surprised.gif Live and learn.

kneadacookie Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:41am
post #7 of 13

you're also not supposed to store it in plastic. it has something to do with the plastic breaking it down

dandelion56602 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:50am
post #8 of 13

I always store mine in a rubbermaid container in the freezer & Never had a problem (cross my fingers now). I absolutely love Antonia74's recipe here on CC. I'll never use another recipe for RI. It does make a lot & it's a thick consistancy, but like I said I freeze leftovers. I just don't like to think about it sitting out for more than a day or two

playingwithsugar Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 9:35am
post #9 of 13

kneadacookie -

I never heard that you shouldn't store it in plastic (but that does not mean it's not true).

The owner of the local supply store did tell me that I should not store it in certain types of plastic, i.e. gladware, because they are not really airtight, and because something from the plastic leaches into the icing (or anything else that is stored in it). She only recommends Tupperware or Pyrex glass bowls with lids, and that plastic wrap should be placed directly against the surface of the icing before putting on the lid.

I wish one of our UK members would chime in on this one, since they are the resident experts on Royal Icing.

Anyone available over there?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

taniabanana Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:41pm
post #10 of 13

I'm in the UK but I'm no expert icon_sad.gif

I have had this problem before, it's almost chalky in colour too. I put it down to adding too much water to thin it, or if it's too humid in the kitchen.

Sometimes my royal drys fine and the next day it looks like it's darker in places. Almost like feathering. It's not still wet and it's not breaking down so it's not grease. I can Ice several cookies with the same batch and colour and only a couple have this problem. I use Americolor colours and it is often the Forest Green and Ivory that does this. Don't want to hijack this thread, but does anyone have an idea what it could be?

Peeverly Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 4:05pm
post #11 of 13

Playingwithsugar. That is interesting about the plastic. I had the ri in gladware both times that this has happened to me. Maybe I'll try storing it in glass. I like glass anyway, it seems everthing now is plastic. I'm going back to the old days with glass!

playingwithsugar Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 11:03pm
post #12 of 13

I had re-taken the Wilton classes at the local shop, because I had been away from cake deco for a while, and wanted to rebuild my skills.

I took my class BC to the classroom in gladware, and the shop owner told me that I was going to have trouble with all my icing if I kept it in that type of plastic, including the BC. And she was right. I ended up throwing it all away, and going to the Tupperware kiosk at the mall, and working out a deal with the vendor for a small discount if I bought a certain size in quantity.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Peeverly Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:23am
post #13 of 13

Well, I certainly have enough Tupperware as I used to sell it. So, I'll make sure it is stored in only Tupperware or glass. I hope this works. Thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%