Making & Smoothing Ganache?

Decorating By Kay_NL Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 12:38pm by patrincia

Kay_NL Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 7

I want to cover a 6 inch round cake with ganache, I was wondering how easy it is to make and use?

I would like to have it really smooth as well, do I just pour it over the cake, or should I let it cool a bit? Do I need to put anything on the cake (like bc) before the ganache?

Thanks so much!

6 replies
MikeRowesHunny Posted 31 May 2008 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 7

Ganache, unless you have it on the cake very thickly, will show up any imperfections in the cake beneath, so I always whip some and use it to crumb coat the cake first like buttercream. Let your ganache cool until it thick but spreadable and then work quickly as it starts to set up quite quickly when it's on the cake. If I need to smooth, I use a spatula dipped in a jug of boiling water (and the blade then wiped before use), and it works perfectly!

Kay_NL Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 7

OK, thanks. Unfortunately my cake came out of the pan missing a chunk. icon_sad.gif I might try it anyhow and hope for the best!

sari66 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 7

I love ganache and can be easy to use just cover the cake with thickened ganache then pour your fresh hot or slightly cooled ganache over your cake that is sitting on a screen with a sheetpan underneath. I use a ladle when pouring that way i can control my pour better.

Kay_NL Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 7

Great, thank you! I'll never know what it's like unless I try right?? icon_smile.gif

Kay_NL Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:16pm
post #6 of 7

I tried the ganache last night! First I made a batch and used it as a "crumb coat" Then I made some more and poured it over. I think it turned out fairly good, the only problem is that my ganache is full of air bubbles.

Could it be the way I stirred it? Or was it the chocolate I used??

Any insight is appreciated!! icon_smile.gif

patrincia Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:38pm
post #7 of 7

It was the way you stirred it. If you're going to pour it on, be careful not to incorporate a lot of air when mixing it together.

If you want to use it like buttercream, wait until it cools to room temp (can take up to several hours or even overnight if you have a huge batch), you can even whip it once it is cool, which will lighten the color slightly.

It's wonderful stuff!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%