Ribbon On Cake

Decorating By snoopy3 Updated 3 Jun 2008 , 3:47pm by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

snoopy3 Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:57am
post #1 of 7

how do you fasten ribbon to a cake be it buttercream or fondant?? Also, do you have to do anything special if you are putting fresh flowers??

6 replies
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 31 May 2008 , 7:24am
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy3

how do you fasten ribbon to a cake be it buttercream or fondant?? Also, do you have to do anything special if you are putting fresh flowers??

This has actually been discussed before, but I didn't do a search, so here goes, from memory (I've never used a ribbon on a cake myself).

Some people suggest to use a straight pin, but you MUST let the person serving the cake know about this!

Others have suggested piping gel, royal icing, buttercream and edible glue. Some members here have suggested when using ribbon on BC, spray the ribbon lightly and evenly with non-stick spray to prevent any grease spots. It basically makes the ribbon evely layered with one big grease spot so it doesn't look discolored unevenly (did I explain that well?).

Hmmm....can't seem to recall anything else right now, but I'm sure some friendly other member will add to this.

Danielle1218 Posted 31 May 2008 , 9:02pm
post #3 of 7

I have always wondered how to do that as well. I think the biggest problem would be the grease soaking into the ribbon.

Danielle1218 Posted 31 May 2008 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 7

I have always wondered how to do that as well. I think the biggest problem would be the grease soaking into the ribbon.

Bonnie151 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 7

I only do fondant cakes, but for those I wet the ribbon and then attach it to the cake. It dries without leaving marks in the ribbon and sticks to the cake. I used to use edible glue, but found you could see through the ribbon where the glue was attached.

indydebi Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 7

I use a dot of BC to connect the two ends. If there is a grease spot, it's only in the back, where no one sees it.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 7

In order to hide grease spots someone had suggested lightly spraying the ribbon with cooking spray before applying it to the cake. I believe that would give the whole ribbon the 'grease spot' thus preventing splochiness. I also believe it would make your ribbon a couple of shades darker so you might have to take that into consideration when picking out the color, if you use this method.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%