Chocolate Ganache' On Fondant??

Decorating By CakesUnleashed Updated 12 Aug 2008 , 3:38am by gateaux

CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:02am
post #1 of 11

Has anyone ever used chocolate ganache' on a fondant covered cake?

Any secrets you wanna share??

Things I need to know??

What NOT to do??

10 replies
gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:53am
post #2 of 11

I have used it before, I would just say, make sure you use ganache that is thick enough so it will not drip as you pipe it. If that is what you are looking to do.
Another idea would be to pm a cc'r that has noted they have used ganache on a cake that looks like what you want to do.

Good Luck.

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:12pm
post #3 of 11

I've had trouble getting fondant to stick to ganache, I'm not sure if it is also difficult the other way around? I tried to attach fondant decorations to a ganache covered cake and they just kept sliding down the side of the cake. I'd also suggest PMing someone whose done it before.

CakesUnleashed Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 3:45am
post #4 of 11

HELP!!!

I am refreshing this topic again as I have a cake due FRIDAY!! Yikesabee!! icon_eek.gif

The wedding cake is a four tiered square cake. The customer wants it covered in white fondant with chocolate ganache on the top of each layer, dripping down the side of the white fondant. I have never used ganache on fondant and was wondering if I should even attempt this???!!!!???!!!

Is there another type of chocolate that would give the same effect? The customer has stated that it's not important what I use as long as I get that LOOK!!?!?!?!

gateaux Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:22am
post #5 of 11

Ganache will be fine. You just have to have the right thickness so it will drip a bit but not too much. You really need to try it. If you have leftover fondant try to make just a bit of ganache say about 2 tbsp of chocolate and 2 tbsp of cream.
Warm the cream, add the chocolate and let it melt 1 minute. Then mix it well. If this is too thick or too thin adjust from there. This would work fine.

Good Luck.

paddlegirl14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paddlegirl14 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:36am
post #6 of 11

I haven't done it, but it is suggested in one of my decorating books. Use chocolate fondant. It will make the ganache look much smoother. You can use anycolor, but the chcolate makes the sense to me.

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 5 Aug 2008 , 4:52am
post #7 of 11

Just remember to cool the ganache before you pour it. Also that ganache does thicken as it cools. I personally use a little more chocolate than cream because I like chocolate a lot and it is thicker. I still haven't done it on fondant though. I would try it first on a small cake than take it from there.

CakesUnleashed Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 2:58am
post #8 of 11

Thank you everyone for all your help. Here is the link to the cake I just posted: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1252852&done=1

I got the ganache' too think but the bride and groom still loved it!!

Whooo Hooooo!

Okay, now I am off to create another cake that I will post tomorrow. Yikesabee!!

Thanks again for being sooooooooooo attentive!!

Deb

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 3:19am
post #9 of 11

Your post and your picture are on the screen at the same time. pretty cool huh!
By the way, I saw your post and had just seen this cake and was going to send you the link because I thought the cake was really pretty, then I realized you were one and the same icon_lol.gif

Jibbies

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 9 Aug 2008 , 4:16am
post #10 of 11

hi do you mean ganache under fonadant? if so every cak i mak i do this. your ganach needs to be 2/34 cocolate 1/3 cream and you coat it on like butter cream when it is at the consistency of very thick wipped cream that will hold itself without dripping, similar to stiff RI really, smooth it all perfect like buttercream and leave to set hard. once this is done if it is a little rough in spots smooth over with a pallete knife put in boiling water to get hot as it will melt the surface but not the whole lot. this is great to get your edges just right. then coat with gin/vodka pr diluted jam and stick on your fodant you get awesome clean crisp lines this way and your cake surface is perfectly flat.

gateaux Posted 12 Aug 2008 , 3:38am
post #11 of 11

You did a fine job. Congrats. Good Luck on the next one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%